Mt. Olympus (Mytikas) - Greece

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
endresspt
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Olympus (Mytikas) - Greece

Post by endresspt »

Hey everyone. I have a close friend who will be going to Greece at the beginning of June and they were planning on climbing Mt. Olympus (Mytikas Peak). They asked me if I had heard anything about it or knew anyone who did. My friend has some experience with climbing several of the Colorado 14ers, including Longs & Lindsey. Some websites say it is a class 3 scramble, others say it is class 4. Has anyone ever climbed it? And if so, which 14ers would they compare it to in difficulty? Thanks for you help!
smitchell333
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Olympus (Mytikas) - Greece

Post by smitchell333 »

I have been there, although not up the last pitch to the summit b/c I was with my wife.
It is either a very long day or most people do it as an overnight and stay in the refuge on the mountain. 90-95% of the route is trail hiking, with only the last stretch being exposed 3-4th class.

There are a couple of ways to the summit both of which, while done by dozens in a summers day, are serious routes My uncle-in-law fell to his death down the Louki Coulor.

I'd say it is somewhat comparable to Longs Peak, although more vertical and maybe more cruxy than the Keyhole/Trough and final stretch.

Here is the last bit:
http://www.hikenow.net/images/Greece/Mt ... G_3474.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.hikenow.net/Mount-Olympus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can give you more beta on lodging, getting there, etc. if you'd like.
endresspt
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by endresspt »

Did you guys stay at refuge A? What was the set-up as far as sleeping? Sorry to hear about your uncle-in-law.
smitchell333
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smitchell333 »

Yes we stayed at the refuge A or Prionia refuge.

It is group lodging with multiple bunk beds per room. They have a decent limited menu there. I'd recommend staying for the night after the ascent too if you have the time as it was a long day up and down.