Who's climbed Mount Everest? 7 Summits?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Who's climbed Mount Everest? 7 Summits?

Post by climbing_rob »

mts4602 wrote:Out of curiousity, what are the main differences between "guided" and "supported/sherpa supported" on Everest?
"supported" is having help hauling your stuff. Maybe some help cooking, setting up tents, etc. "Guided" is "supported" plus having you hand held to the top, or not.

C'mon Doug and Hack, enlighten us with more than emoticons. Why be shy? We can discuss all of this at 14 camp in late May / early June Doug? Looking forward to chatting.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

The first guy to climb the seven summits tried Everest as the 3rd peak he ever climbed.
Regular climbers were amused. He didnt succeed until his fourth attempt.

The second guy to climb the seven posts occasionally in 14ers.com.
He writes the best guidebooks to hiking the 14ers. The newest revision has just come out.

One of the other first seveners had a serious fall near Pawnee Pass last year.
I wonder how he is faring?

In a few weeks Everest Madness is in full swing. There is a short weather window where
several hundred people will try to summit on the same day or two.
They look line a line of ants along the guide ropes in the photos.
climbing_rob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

peter303 wrote:The first guy to climb the seven summits tried Everest as the 3rd peak he ever climbed.
Regular climbers were amused. He didnt succeed until his fourth attempt.
Given this very limited sample size, maybe there's a good lesson here: If you have unlimited $$$ (like Mr. Bass), head on over and keep trying to you get it done. If you're like most of us with limited $, follow a logical progression of mountains and work up to it, and maybe you'll get lucky and get it done the first try.

Gerry took two try's, not bad given the 1st try was in the 70's, things not quite as well established, plus their team put in the route over the ice-fall that year.
FawltyTowers
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FawltyTowers »

peter303 wrote: The second guy to climb the seven posts occasionally in 14ers.com.
He writes the best guidebooks to hiking the 14ers. The newest revision has just come out.
Out of curiosity who is he? I'm new to climbing 14ers and I could use all the help I can get. Seems like one of his guidebooks might be a good place to start.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

FawltyTowers wrote:
peter303 wrote: The second guy to climb the seven posts occasionally in 14ers.com.
Out of curiosity who is he? I'm new to climbing 14ers and I could use all the help I can get. Seems like one of his guidebooks might be a good place to start.
The first 7er was Richard bass and the 2nd Gerry Roach. They were sometimes on the same mountain at the same time according to Bass's book.
climbing_rob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Roach's picture is in Bass's book, along with Gary Neptune's.
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

I can't speak on price or the experience as I'm not anywhere near that advanced in my climbing career, but progression wise my pipe dream consists of this. Keep climbing 14ers when I can find the time. I'm climbing Mt. Hood this June if all goes as planned. Mt. Rainier next summer, maybe another year of some more cascade volcano's, then either Denali or Aconcagua. After that, Cho Oyu, and if the stars line up, try for Everest. All of this is $ and family dependent though.

I will say that the more I read TR's on here, the more I think it's safely doable to plan trips your self, wrt Aconcagua and Denali etc...
climbing_rob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Fletch wrote: Not to take anything away from Dick Bass or Gerry, but Reinhold Messner was the first, then there was a cat from Canada who was right behind him.
Hmmmm.... what I read on Wiki is that the cat from Canada (Pat Morrow) was the first to climb the Messner list. Surely wiki cannot be wrong????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Morrow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And interestingly, Pat was originally the "second" to climb the original 7 list, but found out later he had summitted the wrong Elbrus peak (the east summit) in whiteout conditions, hence Gerry took over 2nd place. Maybe that also threw Pat behind Messner on the Messner list???? Nah, surely wiki cannot be wrong!

BTW: If you wanna have fun with your Russian guide next month on Elbrus, Fletch, suggest that you include the East summit, then watch him go ballistic! If memory serves, Gerry Roach simply ran off and left his guide and did the east summit as well (which is the 2nd highest peak in Europe).
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

If you decide to do any of the 7 summits unguided (except Kili), take several crevasse rescue/glacier travel courses in the Pac NW, get plenty of experience on your own on lower 48 glaciated mtns (I'm talking years), get into great shape, learn how to make critical and tough decisions in the mtns, learn navigational skills, and gain lots of mental confidence and toughness. Everest is very tough physically but is even more so mentally. Everest unguided but fully supported can run you less than 30K these days. The budget operations are bare bones for sure, things get disorganized and frustrating, and things definitely don't run nearly as smoothly as guided outfits. However, it was worth it for us since we didn't have 60-80K for a guided trip nor did we ever want to be guided.

The 7 is a wonderful goal and will take you to some of the most exceptional places on the planet. Good luck in your pursuits and enjoy the ride!

Brandon
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

:D
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

peter303 wrote:In a few weeks Everest Madness is in full swing. There is a short weather window where
several hundred people will try to summit on the same day or two.
They look line a line of ants along the guide ropes in the photos.
Guess no one died from such a disrespectful stunt.....Oops there I go again opening my mouth. <think inside voice next time> :-#
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

Fletch wrote:Just make sure you climb mountains for yourself and yourself only. To hell what anybody else thinks...

(stepping down off my soapbox now) :oops:
Amen Bother! =D>
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order