Who's climbed Mount Everest? 7 Summits?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
imtheguy247
Trip Reports (0)

Who's climbed Mount Everest? 7 Summits?

Post by imtheguy247 »

Hello all! I'm asking this question, because since i was a little kid, i've always wanted to walk on top of the 7 Summits and, of course, Everest. Though i have no training whatsoever about 14,000 Ft. :/ So for those of you that have climbed everest, or even 8000M+ Peaks, how did you guys train? What summits did you climb to see what elevation was like? Maybe Denali? I would like to have an expedition to Everest in 5-7 years from now, and want to prepare myself as much as possible. What daily exercises have you guys completed to get you guys in shape? In terms of difficulty, how hard would you guys rate everest? I know its going to be very very difficult, but if altitude were not present, what would you guys rate difficulty on? What section would you guys rate the hardest? The Khumbu Ice Fall? The Hilary Step? And Also how much would i be expecting to spend for guides, Sherpas, tickets Etc. I've save $25,000 For this trip so far, and i'm guessing im going to need to save another $75,000? Thanks So Much!
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Who's climbed Mount Everest? 7 Summits?

Post by Dave B »

Fletch has some good advice I'll just add one nugget from my own experience on training for Aconcagua...

Don't break your collarbone two months before you leave in a biking accident. It seriously cramps your training regimen.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hacksaw »

Fletch wrote:1) Go guided. American Alpine Institute or Alpine Ascents International specializes in this stuff. Call them and tell them your plan (and how much money you've saved) and they will give you a heads up on training and equipment (try not to buy the same thing twice)...

2) Save more. Everest is $30-60k depending on outfitter and whether you plan to use o's, etc... Denali, Kili, Elbrus, and Aconcagua are all $5-6k (but Elbrus and Kili usually include a tour of the surrounding areas). Vinson is $30k and the Pyramid is $15k. That's $100-130k for the seven summits...

3) For Everest, Vinson, and Denali (and to a lesser extent Aconcagua and Elbrus), you will need to get good on glaciated terrain. Go do a mountaineering course in Alaska or the Cascades and learn crevasse rescue, roped travel, proper crampon technique, self arrest skills, etc. CMC is a good local resource too.

4) Train, train, train.

5) Stay positive and have a good attitude. Have fun and good luck. See you up there :wink:
I would also add that none of the "Seven Summits," is worth dieing for or losing one's feet/toes/fingers for.

Remeber don't get totally goal/summit fixated.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."
imtheguy247
Trip Reports (0)

Post by imtheguy247 »

I would also add that none of the "Seven Summits," is worth dieing for or losing one's feet/toes/fingers for.

Remeber don't get totally goal/summit fixated.
Maybe it's not worth it to most people, but it is to me. Of course i would be happy if i didn't lost them. Haha but it's something i have always wanted to do. I think i will finish all of the 14'ers before i set off on my journeys
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

imtheguy247 wrote: What summits did you climb to see what elevation was like? Maybe Denali? I would like to have an expedition to Everest in 5-7 years from now, and want to prepare myself as much as possible. What daily exercises have you guys completed to get you guys in shape? ... I've save $25,000 For this trip so far, and i'm guessing im going to need to save another $75,000? Thanks So Much!
I've only been to just below 7000 meters (Aconcagua), but for me it boils down to a progression of mountains to eventually get to the "top".

Start w/ a nice volcano in Mexico or Ecuador and see how you do at 18,000', then 20-21,000'. Maybe Kili (19,400'), see how you do in a third-world atmosphere, whether your stomach can take the bugs & diet.

As Fletch says, get thoroughly trained on glacier travel and steeper snow climbs. Get comfortable walking around all day in crampons and roped up. Take HAMs (High Altitude Mountaineering School) at the CMC !!! Love to see you there in a year or two.

Try Aconcagua, see how you do at 23,000'. Try Denali and see how you do in the bitter cold for weeks on end. Then try an "easier" 8000M peak, like Cho Oyu, and see how you react to those altitudes, perhaps w/o supplemental O2 and to the 5-6 week time commitment. If all this works, maybe its time.

But I don't think you need 100K for an Everest attempt. In fact, I'm hoping to keep it below 40K (unguided, but sherpa supported). We'll see how it goes! I kinda want to try the Big E first before Vinson, 'cause I don't want to spend 30K on that one unless Everest goes.

Training? Schmaining. Climbing is training! Just climb! (well, weights, running, biking, etc, don't hurt)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

In fact, I'm hoping to keep it below 40K (unguided, but sherpa supported).
If you go unguided, it will be a lot less than that. I was invited to go in 2004 for $10K for an fully organized attempt.

Even fully guided with someone like Dan Masur's company cost less than $26K via Tibet and $31K from Nepal, though they tend to leave more up to the climber than say someone like AAI.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Scott P wrote:
In fact, I'm hoping to keep it below 40K (unguided, but sherpa supported).
If you go unguided, it will be a lot less than that. I was invited to go in 2004 for $10K for an fully organized attempt.

Even fully guided with someone like Dan Masur's company cost less than $26K via Tibet and $31K from Nepal, though they tend to leave more up to the climber than say someone like AAI.
Good to hear Scott. My "40K" came from a detailed estimate a buddy of mine made about two years ago of 30K, supported but unguided. Including all air/land travel, extra lodging in Nepal or Tibet & of course, a few grand for more gear. So I just rounded up for inflation over 5 years. I'd be ecstatic if I can get by for even 30K.
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hacksaw »

[-( #-o
Last edited by Hacksaw on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
nomadelmundo
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by nomadelmundo »

good glove and boots... haven't climbed it but plan to do it before i hit 60! (that give me another quarter of a century to prepare and save $)

it's much a mental challenge as a physical ... train your mind... most of the time the mind gives up before the body
Maxmius - What we do in life echoes in eternity.
Hacksaw
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hacksaw »

nomadelmundo wrote:good glove and boots... haven't climbed it but plan to do it before i hit 60! (that give me another quarter of a century to prepare and save $)

it's much a mental challenge as a physical ... train your mind... most of the time the mind gives up before the body
Go for it...... :lol: #-o \:D/ :lol:

You're right its only a matter of $$$, gloves and boots. =D>
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Hacksaw wrote: [-( #-o
Yeah, I've canceled about four posts I started to make in this thread too... :shock:
mts4602
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mts4602 »

Out of curiousity, what are the main differences between "guided" and "supported/sherpa supported" on Everest?