Who's climbed Mount Everest? 7 Summits?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Who's climbed Mount Everest? 7 Summits?

Post by peter303 »

timf wrote:
peter303 wrote:In a few weeks Everest Madness is in full swing. There is a short weather window where
several hundred people will try to summit on the same day or two.
They look line a line of ants along the guide ropes in the photos.
Guess no one died from such a disrespectful stunt.....Oops there I go again opening my mouth. <think inside voice next time> :-#
Everest News says 428 summits in 2011 and 4 deaths. June 1 is approximate the end of the spring weather window.
I think the record is around 600. I dont think they publish name lists anymore.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

peter303 wrote:
timf wrote:
peter303 wrote:In a few weeks Everest Madness is in full swing. There is a short weather window where
several hundred people will try to summit on the same day or two.
They look line a line of ants along the guide ropes in the photos.
Guess no one died from such a disrespectful stunt.....Oops there I go again opening my mouth. <think inside voice next time> :-#
Everest News says 428 summits in 2011 and 4 deaths. June 1 is approximate the end of the spring weather window.
I think the record is around 600. I dont think they publish name lists anymore.
Elizabeth Hawley & the Himalayan Database docuemnt all lists, records, etc related to the Himalaya. I would assume they would post a Spring 2011 seasons list in the near future just like they have done for 2010 and in the past. The Spring 2010 list can be found here: http://www.himalayandatabase.com/2010%2 ... %20A1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rich H »

Marshall Ulrich has climbed the 7 summits. He lives up by St Marys Glacier... if you contact him, I would wager he could fill you in on what it took for him to do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Ulrich" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gabriel
14ers: 36 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gabriel »

This is finally a topic that is interesting: I have three of the 7 summits.

Each individual needs to define how they pursue mountains for sure. Having said that, IMO guided trips are on the opposite end of the spectrum from independent climbing. I really believe that the first worthy summit of Everest occured in 1978 with the Maskless ascent by Peter Habeler and Reinhold Messner. I'm tempted to say the 1980 solo Maskless ascent by a new route by Messner, but that's setting the bar really high. What a creative and beautiful thing!

For people getting into high altitude mountaineering you need to consider what the value of all this is. For me it's become style rather than summits. It's how you do something rather than what you actually climb. Look at the numbers that slog up high, popular mountains with guides, oxygen,etc. It just seems meaningless to me.

Good luck and hopefully good style.

G
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

While we have the Everest folks here... Does anyone know of a list that names the states the US summiters are from? Wondering how many Kansan's have climbed it. I recently read the ESPN article about the guy that did the World Marathon and it said he was the first from Iowa.

Thanks!
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robzilla »

Theodore wrote:While we have the Everest folks here... Does anyone know of a list that names the states the US summiters are from? Wondering how many Kansan's have climbed it. I recently read the ESPN article about the guy that did the World Marathon and it said he was the first from Iowa.

Thanks!
I know a Nepali who's climbed Mt. Sunflower.
catbus-x
14ers: 14 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by catbus-x »

Here is a database of climbers on 7 summits... :-k

http://7summits.com/7summits_statistics.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

I guess I'll start looking at names! Only 86 Americans have done the 7 summits, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Hell, if the stars align down the road somewhere, maybe I'll be the first! :D
mstender
14ers: 9 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mstender »

Robzilla wrote:
Theodore wrote:While we have the Everest folks here... Does anyone know of a list that names the states the US summiters are from? Wondering how many Kansan's have climbed it. I recently read the ESPN article about the guy that did the World Marathon and it said he was the first from Iowa.

Thanks!
Did he survive? I heard the cows there are very viscious.
"You may have passed time in happier ways, but there are other mountains to climb: you've never lived as you're living today - now is the time!"
Peter Hammill 1976
Robzilla
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Robzilla »

mstender wrote:
Robzilla wrote:

Thanks!
Did he survive? I heard the cows there are very viscious.
He lost a toe. But it got better.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

My totally unsolicited .02.

Doing the seven summits would be fun. It would take me to a bunch of cool places.

But I certainly don't think it would offer me the opportunity to brag any more than if I were to buy a sports car or big house. I don't really see it as much of a physical accomplishment anymore, as the only real limiter seems to be money.

To those who have completed the seven summits, I mean no disrespect and I do envy the fact that you had the opportunity to have those experiences.

Also, to the OP...dream big, but ya gotta start small. Do you even know if you enjoy the hills? Seems like a strange goal to have....or, let's put it this way. Maybe you do have a deep-seeded love for mountains that has been cultivated by at least a little time and experience...but it also seems possible that you just saw "seven summits" on TV and thought it would be cool to accomplish that goal yourself. If the latter, I just wonder if that's a valid enough reason to get you through all the trials ahead of you and whether it will truly fulfill you. If it's the former...go for it.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

doggler wrote: But I certainly don't think it would offer me the opportunity to brag any more than if I were to buy a sports car or big house. I don't really see it as much of a physical accomplishment anymore, as the only real limiter seems to be money.
No disrespect to you either, but you really don't know what you're talking about. Have you ever even been to significant altitiude? I have. But only a mere 7000 meters. I cannot imagine what 8800 meters feels like.

Here's my favorite Roach quote:

"All Rise. Mount Everest is Earth’s highest peak, the highest peak in Asia, Earth’s largest continent, and the highest peak in both Nepal and China. No Earth-bound peak can top it! Those who think Everest is easy to climb have usually not been to the top of the “Big E.” Some glibly dismiss Everest with, “Oh! K2 is harder to climb than Everest!” Those folks have likely never been to the top of either peak, and most have never even seen these peaks. Set your prejudice aside, and take a good look at the photo. Then, take a fresh breath and hold it for three minutes while you stare at the photo. The discomfort you feel while holding your breath will be minor compared to the discomfort you will feel near Everest’s summit. Once, I held my breath for six minutes, and I would quickly accept that discomfort over Everest’s. If you can’t hold your breath for two to three minutes with aplomb, then you likely won’t be able to climb Everest. Just standing on the summit feels like running a six-minute mile. Movement, of course, only makes matters worse. The Big E has long since earned her reputation."