Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Chile - Torres del Paine

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Chile - Torres del Paine

Postby shotgung » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:07 pm

My wife and I are going to be taking a trip to Chile in December. We are flying into Punta Arenas (PA) and then traveling north to Torres del Paine (TDP). Just checking to see if anyone has did this and if so, what's the best method of traveling from PA to TDP. I know there are buses that run from the airport to PA and then buses from PA to Puerto Natales. Does anyone know if there is a bus that runs from Puerto Natales to TDP.
A project is complete when it starts working for you, rather than you working for it

Re: Chile - Torres del Paine

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Our travel was arranged for us but I'm sure that you can find transport in Puerto Natales out to the park. It shouldn't be an issue. I don't remember if I saw a regular bus out there or not. I found something like this just in a quick search:

http://www.interhabit.com/torres_del_paine/transfer_puerto_natales_-_torres_del_paine_or_vv_740-51279-2-3-26.htm

I think if you talk to the place you are staying in Puerto Natales they should be able to help arrange something for you. There are tour operators all over the town too that can help out.

Postby mountainmann42 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:26 pm

If things are still run the same (i went in '07), you'll need to take a bus to Puerto Natales after you land in Punta Arenas, spend a night in Puerto Natales, then take another bus into the park the next day. Theres only 1-2 buses that do that route and I think they set their times so that you have to spend the night in Puerto Natales on your way to and from the park. I worked in Chile for a year and a half and got to see a lot of the country, torres del paine was definitely my favorite place to visit.

Postby shotgung » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:02 am

Good enough. Thanks for the input. Our plane lands in PA at 7pm and we will spend the night there. We are planning on taking a bus the next morning to PN then catch another one to the park.
A project is complete when it starts working for you, rather than you working for it

Postby boleslav » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Postby I fall a lot » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:24 am

You can also just rent a car at the PA airport...that allowed us to be much more independent.

As a side note, we usually hit the trail pretty late (11-noonish) and were rewarded with spectacular views....which is obviously counter to summer hiking in CO.

Postby slaggbottom » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:18 am

In 2008 we took a bus from El Calafate -> P. Natales, which arrived late, and we missed the 2pm bus to TDP. We hired a van to drive us to the park so we could make it in time for the (6pm?) boat to Pehoe (in TDP). The van was ~$40 per person (carried 6 of us).

Got a trip report here with lots of details and pics of the W-trek, if you're interested: http://matt.tracz.org/2008/patagonia/index.html

-Matt
My Trip Reports: http://matt.tracz.org