Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

highest peak in Norway Galdhopiggen

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

highest peak in Norway Galdhopiggen

Postby guitarbiker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:45 pm

I've been lurking on this site for awhile reading all the expoits on the 14ers. I have an opportunity to go to Norway June 2011 and was thinking of doing the hike up Norway's highest peak, Galdhopiggen. It's 8,100 feet high. I'm just wondering if there would be much issue with breathing at that height. I've never climbed anything that high, and I know it's nothing compared to what you guys and gals do but, where could I find information on booking such a hike, guide, equipment, training, etc.
Thanks

Re: highest peak in Norway Galdhopiggen

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:02 pm

I would be more concerned about weather and terrain than altitude. Will you notice the elevation compared to sea level? Yes. Will it slow you down some? Yes. Should you go to trailhead elevation in advance? Yes. Is there risk of altitude sickness? Not serious risk. If you rush it you could get a headache and feel nausea. If you take it easy and stay hydrated you could avoid any ill effects.

Here’s the summitpost page.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150792/galdh-piggen.html
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby gonzalj » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:25 pm

I agree with mountainhiker's points. In addition, I would try to do some hikes before that are slightly lower elevations just to get acclimated (and similar it terrain style). Based on the info from summitpost it sounds to be a class 2 hike, which has it's fair share of challenges, but is not extremely difficult or technical for that fact and where something as small as hiking/trekking poles will help out quite a bit. My biggest thing with just starting 14ers out here is, it is not a race to the summit. Take your time to stay hydrated with water and catch your breath when needed. The other huge thing (as already mentioned) is the weather. Try to track the weather as closely as possible and make sure you account for it on when you plan on starting your hike.

Postby guitarbiker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks for the information, I'll be staying right at sea level near Oslo of course. So, great idea to get into the highlands and hike for awhile. How many days do you think would be good for that? Pretty excited about this adventure. I'm 51 years old and a pretty serious mountain biker, and cross country skier but the whole mountain/higher altitude thing has me a little bit thoughtful as to proper preparation. Which reminds me of the wisdom from a crazy man I sauna and swim with regularly........THE 3 P'S.............PREPARATION PREVENTS PROBLEMS. And of course weather, which I've read kept the first climbers from achieving the summit at first. Crampons?, glacier glasses over prescription lenses? hiring a guide for the glacier crossing? I told you I'm a newbie.. Thanks again. You people are the best.

Postby gonzalj » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Crampons would definitely be a great idea for glaciers (and ice axe might not be a bad idea either - even though it is more prevalent in the steeper/more technical climbs seen in class 3's or 4's). I would definitely try to acclimate for a week (at least half a week, but the more the better) and try to do at least 2 easier hikes before Galdhopiggen. From what I know about Norway's landscape, I know that out in western Norway near Bergen are a lot of the fjords/mountains out there. Now, I'm not sure how far this mountain is from there or for that fact how the terrain is out in those fjords in comparison to this mountain (so obviously those are points you definitely want to research), but it is at least an idea. In the grand scheme of things, the elevation is not extremely high and if you do a good job of not trying to push yourself to fast too quickly and drinking water at the same time, it will do good things for you. The other thing is (especially initally on higher elevation hikes) the mental aspect. There will be steeper parts that challenge you more and on those parts it is completely understandable to catch your breath and hydrate more often. Just focus on small steps making it up to the next switchback or two or little hill and go from there.

Postby tauma » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:54 am

Think Torrey's / Gray's on a summer weekend i.e several hundred people but unlike those this rock has a 'bar' on top.

AMS at 8000ft. Perhaps if you have a night on the turps beforehand and run from sea level. Otherwise just rack up and go.

A winter ascent is a different ball game.