Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

climbing expeditons

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

climbing expeditons

Postby AdamC » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:47 pm

Does anyone know some of the better companies for trekking expeditions on Kilimanjaro? I have not found much.
Thank you.

Re: climbing expeditons

Postby Lavich » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:10 am

Try (www.martoursandsafaris.com)

Budget company. We used them for a group of 2 last year and had a great time and everyone made it to the top. We like the fact that the company was locally owned and operated, plus Baraka was really good via e-mail which made us feel comfortable about using him.

If you are going to go for Kili, you can do it in 5 to 6 days, but adding the acclimating day is well worth it. After going over every aspect of all the routes, we finally chose the Machame route with the acclimating day.

I would highly recommend bringing your own air mattress and sleeping bag.

Good Luck!

Lavich

Postby AdamC » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:58 am

thanks bro!

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:29 am

When we did Kilimanjaro we went with Kessy Tours. We contacted them directly by email. They were very price competitive. We were happy with every one of their people we dealt with. If you have experience with foreign travel and don’t mind saving some money they could be good choice.
http://www.kessybrotherstours.com/kilimanjaro_routes.htm

A lot of people book through Adventures Within Reach. They pay a bit more but have the convenience of dealing directly with a company in Boulder.
http://www.adventureswithinreach.com/

If I’m not mistaken Adventures Within Reach contracts with Zara Tours. From what we saw Zara was one of the better companies.
http://www.zaratours.com/

I suggest shopping around and making sure what is included. Determine what is important to you and what you are willing to pay for… Pick up at the airport… Lodging before and after the climb… What is included on the mountain and what do you have to bring... What extra perks might there be on the mountain… Bigger tents, private portable outhouses, how much more is this worth…

Which ever company you go with I strongly recommend paying for an extra day on the mountain. The extra day gives you more acclimation time and allows you to be more rested for summit day. Also I suggest doing a safari since you are there.

My trip report on summitpost:
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/493811/Kilimanjaro-Machame-Route-7-day-UTM.html
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Gusher » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:50 am

I can stronly recommend Zara tours having used them to summit Kili last February.Be sure to do a safari while there

Postby EVEREST DREAMS » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:10 pm

To all reading this: I got back yesturday from climbing Kilimanjaro. There is no way you can find a safer, cleaner, or more energetic guiding company on this mountain. These guys will provide you with full home cooked meals. Ex. 6:00am wake up with coffee or tea at your tent. 7:30am breakfast more tea and coffee, toast,fresh fruit(mangoes,bananas,pineapple,papayas,oranges, and apples)porage and some days bacon and omlets. Lunch, sandwiches and fresh fruit. Dinner, soups(veg.or pasta or meat,were given over the time I was there) stews, bread, and fruits. All of this is done with full silverware and dishes. Butter,sugar,honey,jams,peanutbutter,etc. They double filter all water with mountain hardware tents. All of the porters and crew will sing and greet you Everytime you get to the next camp. We had a crew of 36 taking care of 7 climbers. All the other climbers on the mountain would know when we were there. We had comments from others that they wished they had what we did. Some said they were hungry and cold. We were cold too but had great accomadations and the best people on the mountain, HANDS DOWN. They are only one of 6 companys out of over 300 that carry oxygen and a hyperbaric chamber on summit day. Check out the website and let me know if you have questions about anything else. I posted a request for the orginaztion Climbupsokidscangrowup.com and got bagged on for tring to get donations,but if you go to the website they are now going to make this an annual event every September. You can't beat this company as a guiding service and going through American Foundation for Childeren with Aids(AFCA) you can get donations and go as cheap as possiable if you raise the money. =Drhttp://www.nomadicexperience.com/ =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Postby EVEREST DREAMS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:47 pm

This company is so good I just wanted to get this out there one more time. Thank you.

Postby jwoodwel » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 am

Try Tusker. I went with them in October 2007 and they were awesome. Well worth it. jw

Postby samson lauwo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:32 am

hellow!!
my name is samson lauwo tanzania, i just come across your post am not sure if you are still looking for a trekking company, if yes please let me know. thanks

Postby Lavich » Sat May 08, 2010 11:28 pm

We also met the group of tusker on the mountain and were very happy too.

Location: Washington, USA :: Bristol, England :: Kathmandu, Nepal

Postby SummitClimb » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:17 pm

Hey Adam, here's a link for an expedition run by the fairly well known mountaineer Dan Mazur. The Kilimanjaro climb can be combined with a safari, trekking, and rock climbing - or can just be done on its own. Quite reasonably priced and timed.

Hope to hear about your experience when you get back!

SC

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:51 am

I keep getting emails from the Prince of Tanzania, he keeps trying to hook me up with 2 millions dollars so I bet I could contact him and find you a good guide. since he's so generous. :lol:

In all reality, I know the Colorado Mountain Club is leading a climb there in March, I have no idea if there are spots open or what their trips are like. I'm willing to bet it's probably a bit cheaper though. I'm also willing to bet you'd get to meet the team before arriving in country. I'll be climbing Aconcagua in Dec/Jan with a group from Colorado State and I can already appreciate the fact that I've already met and hiked with the entire group.

http://www.cmc.org/AdventureTravel/AdventureTravelDetails.aspx?EventID=2094
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Next