Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Disaster on K2

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Re: Disaster on K2

Postby smoove » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:25 pm

It was a pretty standard documentary...I wish it could've been longer. But they had lots of actual video from the trip and it looked amazing in HD. Truly a disaster, though--I hate to say it would make for a great movie.

Postby martynda » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:38 pm

I just watched this... The actual footage was amazing, but one thing kept bothering me and I couldn't get over it: in the staged scenes, they were moving VERY quickly and aggressively in terms of climbing, putting ice axes in, etc as if they were just a few hundred feet off the ground.

The snowblind guy wondering about the mountain and spending 2 days up that high is an incredible story.
RIP the ones lost that day. :(

Postby JB99 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:44 pm

I agree that it would make one helluva movie Smoove. That's what I was thinking too. What a powerful mountain and tragic day. Are all of you who watched in HD on Dish or something? I don't know of any comcast HD discovery channel...
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby smoove » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 pm

JB99 wrote:I agree that it would make one helluva movie Smoove. That's what I was thinking too. What a powerful mountain and tragic day. Are all of you who watched in HD on Dish or something? I don't know of any comcast HD discovery channel...

I watched it on DirecTV...saved it for some friends to watch.

Postby huelskbc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 pm

I enjoyed it... but now after watching it my fiance told me I'm not allowed to climb K2. At least not until I get a bigger life insurance policy, with him as the beneficiary. I don't know what he's so worried about. :wink:

Actually, he has absolutely nothing to worry about. 14ers? Bring 'em on. K2? I'll just watch the documentaries and shudder at the frozen toes and snowblindness.

Postby Vicious-Peanut » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:54 pm

I didn't even realize this was about the 2008 disaster until the end. :oops: I also didn't realize that they still have the Sherpa people with the expeditions. I figured it would be local people, but I guess the guides have a better relationship with the Sherpas. (understandable) I can't even imagine walking down the mountain and seeing three people hanging there semi-conscious and not being able to really do anything, it must be extremely emotionally difficult.

Postby Athos791 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:55 pm

Amazing but sad story.. I thought the views of the seracs near the top were amazing. Pemba is one truly insane climber, he was up for over 60 hours helping to try and rescue people. Truly a sorrowing incident..
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby climb4 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:18 pm

I missed something, any have a link to watch it?

Thanks

Postby skier25 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:18 pm

I liked it very much. It is rare that something so pertinent to this sport ever comes on television I cannot believe how many died though. It is an awful tragedy. The one (Wilcox?) who gave his axe to the fallen Korean party while snowblind and survived two nights before getting down is a beast. Did he have the frozen toes? The program jumped around a bit making it a little confusing to fully understand everything at once shows how dangerous things can quickly become.
Carry an ice axe and a clear mentality; they can both save your life.
I get acute mountain sickness when I am away from the mountains.

Postby Athos791 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:31 pm

skier25 wrote:I liked it very much. It is rare that something so pertinent to this sport ever comes on television I cannot believe how many died though. It is an awful tragedy. The one (Wilcox?) who gave his axe to the fallen Korean party while snowblind and survived two nights before getting down is a beast. Did he have the frozen toes? The program jumped around a bit making it a little confusing to fully understand everything at once shows how dangerous things can quickly become.

If I remember right, I think Wilco (sp?) was the guy who spent two nights out while snowblind. The italian is the one who gave his axe to the tangled climbers.
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby Vicious-Peanut » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:41 pm

The italian is the one who gave his axe to the tangled climbers.

I think so too, but this left me confused. I mean, why? Did he really think they would ever get down, or was it just a gesture to them? He could have used it for sure, so I'm leaning toward it being a gesture to them, an honor of sorts.

Postby smoove » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Vicious-Peanut wrote:
The italian is the one who gave his axe to the tangled climbers.

I think so too, but this left me confused. I mean, why? Did he really think they would ever get down, or was it just a gesture to them? He could have used it for sure, so I'm leaning toward it being a gesture to them, an honor of sorts.

I thought that was strange too...I mean, those guys weren't going anywhere on their own. What a nightmare.

PreviousNext