Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cancun Mexico

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Re: Cancun Mexico

Postby burningthebushes » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:51 am

Coba is one of the more remote ruins. You have to hike around a little bit to see the big pyramid, the ball courts and such. It's about 2 hrs from Cancun. If your going south, Tulum has great ruins as well, right above the beach. Ruins were about the only hikes we did, everything else just leads into the jungle. If you happen to be there for the Equinox, hit Chichen Itza. It will be crowded pretty bad, but the Equinox is when some of the neat astrological architecture really shows.
Andy

Postby rob runkle » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:21 am

Be careful traveling in Mexico in the near future... And, yes this includes Cancun, especially outside the hotel district.

Postby rob runkle » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:21 pm

jason.wichman wrote:I'm not worried about traveling there at all. I posted my perspective on that with the forum topic on that. Its a lot of scare tactics and if you are not involved with the Mexican Mafia, you most likely won't see a difference. :mrgreen:

that asside, thanks for the help guys. I'll be down there the last week of march so I'll just barely miss the equinox.

Any suggestions on what to do and what to avoid?

I disagree with the "scare tactics" part. My company has a plant in JZ, and we have been getting monthly updates. Our associates in the plant have been affected ranging from seeing bodies, to carjackings. But, you are very correct in your other posting that it is mostly in the border towns. Having said that, Cancun isn't Hawaii, St Thomas, or anything like the US, even during good times. Ten years ago my wife was on a trip with friends to Cancun. They were on one of the buses from the main hotel strip. The bus driver took a detour and stopped the bus in the middle of nowhere, and made them all get out. Then, just by coincidence, a bunch of taxis came to the rescue. For a fee, they got a ride back to the hotels. Mild event in the whole scheme of things, but highlights the "victim role" that the tourist can take.

First thing that helps in a big way is to know the language. I wish that I had a good guide book to recommend. Chk out Amazon.com and grab a couple guide books. One of them is bound to have some great stuff in it.

Postby pvnisher » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:56 pm

I had a great time in Cancun. One particularly fun day was an adventure tour including biking, hiking, rapelling into a cenote, swimming in the underground pool, kayaking a small stream/lake and seeing little crocodiles (I forget their real name). Touristy? Yes. But also very cool and memorable.
We also went to some ruins, Tulum, I think? Pretty interesting.
The beaches down there are great! :mrgreen:

Postby thebeave7 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm supposed to go down to an all inclusive resort in Tulum in May for a wedding, any thoughts on transportation from the Cancun airport to Tulum? The resort offers a private cadillac for $150 RT, sounds a bit high. Don't want/need to rent a car so trying to avoid that, thanks for any thoughts.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Postby rob runkle » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:38 pm

thebeave7 wrote:I'm supposed to go down to an all inclusive resort in Tulum in May for a wedding, any thoughts on transportation from the Cancun airport to Tulum? The resort offers a private cadillac for $150 RT, sounds a bit high. Don't want/need to rent a car so trying to avoid that, thanks for any thoughts.

Eric

Go down with Jason. Him and his wife speaking the lingo is the best way to guarantee a good taxi and price. :)

PS> I am serious about speaking the lingo being a huge factor...

Postby anthonylebaron » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:23 pm

thebeave7 wrote:I'm supposed to go down to an all inclusive resort in Tulum in May for a wedding, any thoughts on transportation from the Cancun airport to Tulum? The resort offers a private cadillac for $150 RT, sounds a bit high. Don't want/need to rent a car so trying to avoid that, thanks for any thoughts.

Eric

Take a bus. Mexico has an unbelievably efficient, cheap and modern bus system. My Lonely Planet Mexico guidebook says a bus from Cancun to Tulum will set you back 62 pesos. (5 bucks or so)

Postby I fall a lot » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:49 pm

[quote="rob runkle] Having said that, Cancun isn't Hawaii, St Thomas, or anything like the US, even during good times. [/quote]

huh...i thought cancun was the most american place outside of america. different perspectives i suppose.

have a good time jason and watch out for the head-choppin' bandits! :wink:

Postby lodidodi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:30 pm

I did a trip to Coba and they let you climb the stairs to the top and overlook the jungle. I heard the guide say they were getting rid of letting people climb to the top so I don't know if they still allow it. It was a little funny when the guy told us to stay in the middle by the fixed rope and don't go close to the edge because you might get dizzy from the height and then i jogged up it.

Postby rob runkle » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:06 am

I fall a lot wrote:huh...i thought cancun was the most american place outside of america. different perspectives i suppose.

It helps if you leave the resort poolside... Other wise, yeah, it looks like Vegas...

Postby burningthebushes » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:17 am

jason.wichman wrote:What amazed me though is the amount of diversity of the people who visit. I would say the breakdown was about 75% American, 20% European, and the rest a mix of Asian or Aussie.

Interesting, when I was in Ecuador over the new year, the tourists were almost all euros, we met 1 other US couple and overheard a few speaking US english. Glad the trip was a success!
Andy

Postby Athos791 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Glad to hear you had a good time! Having spent a lot of time in Mexico throughout my life, I also feel the news reports are a bit misleading. I never once felt insecure when I was in Mexico City/Tlachichuca in January. I am saddened by the violence going on in Tijuana and other border towns. I remember when I was younger walking around Tijuana with my brother with no issues.. Seems to have changed these days.
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Next