Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Elbrus 18,500' July 25th - August 9th - partners wanted

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Elbrus 18,500' July 25th - August 9th - partners wanted

Postby Gusher » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Looking for climbing partners for Elbrus located in the Caucasus Mountains of southern Russia (18,500 feet - highest peak on the European continent) for July 25th - August 9th. From what I've read it should take slightly less than 2 weeks to fly over, acclimatize, and climb the peak. Plan on allowing 3 days for weather.

Re: Elbrus 18,500' July 25th - August 9th - partners wanted

Postby zacob » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 pm

What kind of $$ are you talking about?

Postby Jcwhite » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:46 pm

Get your visa's now. That is the biggest pain in the ass for doing this one. Also flights aren't super cheap. No permits though. Pilgrim tours is helpful for in country transportation.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby Gusher » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:42 am

I haven't done much research but looking at expedia today, round trip from Denver to Mineralnye Vody through Moscow is about $1350 for departing July 24th returning August 8th. We would probably overnight in Moscow both ways and hotels there are not cheap.

Not sure what hotels and the barrels cost or the bus transportation, but I am hoping to do it for $3000-3500 total.

Thanks Jcwhite for the heads up on the visas. Will start researching that aspect. On my recent Kilimanjaro climb, the Tanzanian visa only took a few weeks, but Russia is a different animal.

Postby Scott P » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:47 am

Not sure what hotels and the barrels cost or the bus transportation, but I am hoping to do it for $3000-3500 total.

Seems a bit high. Moscow itself is expensive, but not really Russia outside Moscow.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Woodie Hopper » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:56 am

Jcwhite wrote:Get your visa's now. That is the biggest pain in the ass for doing this one. Also flights aren't super cheap. No permits though. Pilgrim tours is helpful for in country transportation.

Hey JC,

Did you go with Pilgrim's "Elbrus lite" package?

Woodie

Postby mtnmike » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Did Elrbus back in '07, and I can tell you this -- bring a few extra $$$ to handle any unforeseen "administrative expenses" (yes, read that as "bribes") that might crop up. Doesn't happen to everyone, but we had one member of our team stopped at a Mineral Vody checkpoint because his paperwork wasn't in order (depsite the fact we all had identical paperwork). About $100US in "administrative costs" later and we were on our way...
mtnMike
http://www.fourteeners.org

"Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." - Ed Viesturs

Postby Joe Miner » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:35 pm

I did Elbrus last May and while they do push for "administrative fees" at MinVody, we stood firm and they finally aired off. After we got out of the parking lot at the airport we didn't experience and more graft. Hitting Border Control coming into country is rigorous, but not as oppressive as the seven layers of security you are subject to when you exit.

There is an alternative to flying through Moscow and that is to take a weekly flight out of Munich direct to MinVody. The flights are on Kamvavia and I believe our RT cost was ~$900. Th flights are on a TU154M (NATO Careless) and that is more of an adventure than climbing Elbrus. Needless to say to inflight service is interesting.

The Russians are really tight on excess baggage and put the American carriers to shame.
Explore, Dream & Discover..............

Postby Jcwhite » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:59 am

Woodie Hopper wrote:
Jcwhite wrote:Get your visa's now. That is the biggest pain in the ass for doing this one. Also flights aren't super cheap. No permits though. Pilgrim tours is helpful for in country transportation.

Hey JC,

Woodie

Yes Sir
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby Jcwhite » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:00 pm

Joe Miner wrote:I did Elbrus last May and while they do push for "administrative fees" at MinVody, we stood firm and they finally aired off. After we got out of the parking lot at the airport we didn't experience and more graft. Hitting Border Control coming into country is rigorous, but not as oppressive as the seven layers of security you are subject to when you exit.

There is an alternative to flying through Moscow and that is to take a weekly flight out of Munich direct to MinVody. The flights are on Kamvavia and I believe our RT cost was ~$900. Th flights are on a TU154M (NATO Careless) and that is more of an adventure than climbing Elbrus. Needless to say to inflight service is interesting.

The Russians are really tight on excess baggage and put the American carriers to shame.

Yeah That part sucked. Try taking skis... I spent some skrilla...

Postby Woodie Hopper » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Jcwhite wrote:
Woodie Hopper wrote:

Hey JC,

Woodie

Yes Sir

Thanks Man.