Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Puerto Vallarta Hikes

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Puerto Vallarta Hikes

Postby JayB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:35 pm

My wife and I are headed down to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for 4 days in early February. Of the 4 other couples joining us, a few of us would rather hike in the hills than hang out on the beach. Does anyone have any suggestions for hikes or locations within 50 miles of Puerto Vallarta? I saw that Celoruco Volcano is located about halfway between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara, but unsure of how long it would take to travel from the coast.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ronefatone

Re: Puerto Vallarta Hikes

Postby ronefatone » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:49 am

You'd rather get all sweaty in the hills than be on a beautiful beach?? Weirdness.

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Re: Puerto Vallarta Hikes

Postby San Juan Ron » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:39 am

I have only hiked with guides in the jungles in the outlying areas around PV. February is probably the best time to hike as the monster T-Storms haven't fired up yet and the temperature is 'relatively' reasonable. However, the humidity will be a problem (you will sweat like a pig) and you need to be prepared. Watch for snakes! On one trip, I was bitten by a snake just above the shoe line which introduced me to the Mexican healthcare system. :lol:

You should also ask the 'locals' or the hotel concierge where some 'safe' hikes are in the area. There are some areas that you do NOT want to go in the PV area.............SJ Ron

P.S. The beach will never look so good after a day of hiking in the hot and humid PV jungles!

BE SAFE
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir