Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Orizaba, Malinche and Izta

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Re: Orizaba, Malinche and Izta

Postby Gabriel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:26 pm

I have the feeling that you will get up it this time.

G

Postby CRAIGO » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 pm

JB99-
Just a little something to get you excited for your trip back...
Mexico 184.jpg
Pico de Orizaba at sunrise from Iztaccihuatl
Mexico 184.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 1107 times

Postby JB99 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Gabriel- Thanks for the words of encouragement. We are giving ourselves 2 days for summit attempts so hopefully we'll get a good shot at it...
Thanks for the picture Craigo. Beautiful shot. Congratulations on the Izta summit too, sounded like a great trip.

On another note I was wondering if anyone knew what Dr. Reyes favorite drink is? We are going to stay with him again and would like to bring down a gift...
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Good luck on your trip!

I don't know what the doctor drinks, but I'll bet if you emailed his brother Luis he could help you out...

Postby JB99 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:33 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:Good luck on your trip!

I don't know what the doctor drinks, but I'll bet if you emailed his brother Luis he could help you out...

Hmmm, is the person that you email different from who is there when you arrive. I may be confused...

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm

There are two Reyeses - Luis manages the communications and Gerardo manages the operations at Servimont. I have pics of them both... give me a minute and I'll find and post them here for you. If you email Servimont, Luis always answers.

OK - here are a couple...

Senor Luis Reyes is on the right, with his dog Foca. Orizaba is socked in behind him.

Senor (Dr.) Gerardo Reyes is on the left, with a little fat girl who ate too many frijole enchiladas and drank too many Coronas during her stay at Servimont!

Again - have a great trip!

Postby cheeseburglar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:38 pm

JB99 wrote:I updated the trip report to include a video that I made of our trip. It can also be linked to through here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERk186JUHh4

I just watched this video. Really good. I'm hoping you make one with some views of the summit crater!
The early starts and climbing in the dark can be pretty bizarre. Lot's of mind games get played during those times! Your footage brought back some memories.
Did you ever figure out what was causing the leg cramp issue talked about in the TR?
I'd suggest getting some fried bananas. Yummy.
A lot of people read TR's!
If your trip has an aggresive acclimatization plan, have you thought about an evening at Hoosier Pass south of Breck? Not a bad place to camp and walk around up high in the winter and a reasonable drive to the airport.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby JB99 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:17 am

Susan- thanks for clearing that up. I feel kind of dumb for not realizing that.

Burglar- We are pretty much heading straight to the hut from CO so we are planning on sleeping at Pikes trailhead on 3/11 hiking Pikes 3/12 and will be at Servimont on 3/14 and the hut 3/15. Our summit day is 3/18 but we will leave 3/19 for an alternate day in case we don't summit 3/18. Hopefully we will only suffer the first day at the hut and we are minimizing that as much as possible.

Postby JB99 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:26 am

Oh yeah, the leg cramp thing. Jessica cramps up a lot as it is at night. Not sure why, I figured the altitude just didn't help any. Thanks for the comments about the video too, I had fun putting it together. This time I have a nice new hd camcorder to play with so hopefully I'll be able to get those crater views in hd style. The last video was just my digital camera on a video setting.

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:03 pm

cheeseburglar wrote:I'm hoping you make one with some views of the summit crater!

Here are some still shots of the crater
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Athos791 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:36 pm

JB, Glad to hear your going back so soon! I have to wait another 9 months or so.. I hope you guys can get to the top this time, and am looking forward to the next trip report.
-Luke
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby JB99 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Trevor (centrifuge) and myself made the summit today. Jessica opted to turn back around 17,400 on the glacier (I walked her down to the base then headed back up). Overall a very successful day, the labryinth was mostly water ice and was the hardest climbing I have done. Alejandro (one of the Reyés guides) said it was the worst condition he had seen it in for awhile. Great beautiful day and all parties returned safe. We made the summit and back in 12.5 hours. Thanks to everyone who wished us well and provided gear; Tom. Also thanks to Bill, I wouldn't have ever been anywhere near 18k if not for 14ers.com.

PreviousNext