Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Orizaba, Malinche and Izta

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Re: Orizaba, Malinche and Izta

Postby Athos791 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:34 am

Haliku,
I had done something similar to this before on Washington, and it worked out well, but thinking about what you said makes think you are right... Might not be the best idea, was just trying to avoid having to scramble in the plastics if I could... Is there still enough ice/snow in the labrynth to toss on the crampons and head up that? If that's the case, would make it a good bit easier. We are going to set up highcamp at the camping spots up near the edge of the glacier, so was thinking I could change boots there, but am thinking now that is not the best idea. Thanks for the advice Haliku!
Cheers,
Luke
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby ScottN » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:40 am

Last month I wore my trail runners up to the bottom of the Labyrinth at 15,800 ft, where I then switched to my mountaineering boots. I wont say this will work for everyone, but when I was there, the temps were above freezing at the Piedre Grande hut, and barely below freezing at 15,800 ft. I will say that it was nice being able to bust out the trail runners at the end of the day for the last 1,800 ft descent back down to camp.

Postby astrobassman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:52 am

When I climbed Orizaba it was very cold. The thought of switching my boots before the sunrise that day makes me shiver. I would not recommend it. I would recommend getting comfortable boots that you can wear on rock and snow and Ice for several hours. Scrambling on the rocks by the labyrinth was very easy, and I wouldn't worry about doing it in big mountaineering boots. fyi Here is a trip report I wrote up on Mexico: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... -2008.html

Postby MikeyC » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:03 am

Hey Jesse,
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad you and Jessica made it off the mountain safe andalso reachedyour new high! I think it is pretty cool that you are able to have these experiences! I can't wait to climb with the two of you again. From what it sounds like Jessica will be helping me through the tough spots next time! Talk to ya soon!

-Mike

Postby Athos791 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:07 am

astrobassman wrote:When I climbed Orizaba it was very cold. The thought of switching my boots before the sunrise that day makes me shiver. I would not recommend it. I would recommend getting comfortable boots that you can wear on rock and snow and Ice for several hours. Scrambling on the rocks by the labyrinth was very easy, and I wouldn't worry about doing it in big mountaineering boots. fyi Here is a trip report I wrote up on Mexico: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... -2008.html

It wasn't really the thought of uncomfortable boots.. I got mine fitted by a bootfitter, and they fit the best of any of my boots. And as you both said, im thinking it might not turn out well if it is really cold the day we move camps... Also, I recently read your cotopaxi and chimborazo trip, sounds like you guys had a great time.
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby JB99 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:43 pm

For us the weather was ridiculously warm. I wore a lightweight REI MTS shirt and my 14ers.com Patagonia short sleeve and some REI soft shell pants so on our day trail runners would have been just fine. I am ok scrambling in my boots though and none of the moves are difficult by rock climbing standards. The aqua ducts would have been the only place I would have been happier to have had trail runners.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby JB99 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 pm

I put together a trip report, I'll probably edit it but who really reads these things anyway. Here is the link.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:51 am

JB99 wrote:I put together a trip report, I'll probably edit it but who really reads these things anyway. Here is the link.

Are you kidding? A lot of folks read them! I skim them and print those that interest me most - either because they're well-written, unique, or contain a peak of particular interest to me. Then I read them in bed, over my nightly cup of hot tea.

Yours qualifies on all three fronts (I skimmed it last night - you're a good writer, you share a poignant story that includes some of the same people I met in Tlachichuca, and I love the volcanoes!) so I'll be printing and reading it tonight...

Note to all trip report writers: We read you - write on!

Postby JB99 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:01 am

susanjoypaul wrote:
JB99 wrote:I put together a trip report, I'll probably edit it but who really reads these things anyway. Here is the link.

Are you kidding? A lot of folks read them! I skim them and print those that interest me most - either because they're well-written, unique, or contain a peak of particular interest to me. Then I read them in bed, over my nightly cup of hot tea.

Yours qualifies on all three fronts (I skimmed it last night - you're a good writer, you share a poignant story that includes some of the same people I met in Tlachichuca, and I love the volcanoes!) so I'll be printing and reading it tonight...

Note to all trip report writers: We read you - write on!

Thanks. Hope it was a good read.

We are thinking about going back around March 15ish to try just Orizaba. Anyone else have plans to be down there around then? Anyone else want to make some plans to be there then? The flights are around $300-350 roundtrip right now. I will definitely not be flying US Airways again though even if I need to pay much more.

Postby susanjoypaul » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:20 am

JB99 wrote:Thanks. Hope it was a good read.

It was a great read! I like the part... oh never mind - I'll just go add my comments to your report :-)

JB99 wrote:We are thinking about going back around March 15ish to try just Orizaba. Anyone else have plans to be down there around then? Anyone else want to make some plans to be there then? The flights are around $300-350 roundtrip right now. I will definitely not be flying US Airways again though even if I need to pay much more.

Best of luck, getting a partner for this, and with the trip too! If I didn't already have all my vacation days accounted for this year I'd join you. A beautiful peak in a wonderful country.

Postby JB99 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:39 am

I updated the trip report to include a video that I made of our trip. It can also be linked to through here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERk186JUHh4

Postby JB99 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Tickets for March are ridiculously cheap right now; $240 roundtrip including all fees. We are going back 3/13-3/20 for another attempt on just Orizaba. So far Jessica, Centrifuge and myself are going to make the trip. If anyone else has been considering it and would like to join/meet up while there then let me know.

PreviousNext