Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Orizaba, Malinche and Izta

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Orizaba, Malinche and Izta

Postby JB99 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 pm

I am planning a trip to attempt Orizaba, Malinche, and Izta this Christmas break and would appreciate some advice from those that have done any or all of these. Or anyone who wants to chime in of course. Namely, where did you fly in? Was it hard to get around? Rent a car or public transportation? Guide or guidebook? Buy food in Mexico or bring it? Side trip suggestions on rest days? Camp or book lodges? Did you use a high camp to shorten Orizaba's summit day? Roped up or not? Any crevasse danger? What would you have done differently? Total cost? And finally, do you have any maps or other gear that you would like to sell/donate/loan to me that you no longer need :) . Thanks in advance, feel free to PM me or just update the thread.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Re: Orizaba, Malinche and Izta

Postby Athos791 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:19 pm

You looking for partners?
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby JB99 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:24 pm

I PM'd you just after I posted actually. Not so much looking for partners but am definitely interested in meeting up down there. If that makes any sense.

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm biased, but I think you should do it like this:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4114&parmuser=cheeseburglar&cpgm=tripmain
That trip was so good I'm tempted to repeat it with no changes at all. Except maybe I'd try not to let the airline lose my luggage.

Postby Athos791 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:49 pm

cheeseburglar, nice TR...sounds like you had a great trip down there! Interested in going again?? haha :D
"We go to the mountains to satisfy our own ambitions, not because others evaluate what we are doing." -Anatoli Boukreev

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Athos791 wrote:cheeseburglar, nice TR...sounds like you had a great trip down there! Interested in going again?? haha :D

Thanks. Yeah, I want to go again.
There is a strong possibility that I could be fired from my current job by this winter. Otherwise I can't go because my vacation time will be all gone and they'll get mad if I take too much time without pay. And the bill collectors will be mad as well!

Postby Athos791 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:06 pm

haha its not a good thing to have bill collectors mad... If you end up being able to go, shoot me a PM!

Postby Haliku » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:17 pm

I've been down there twice so far. My most recent trip write up can be found here. I'm taking another group down in mid November so email/pm/post any follow up questions. Cheers!
"You step onto the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Postby benners » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:24 pm

Here's ours:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4731&parmuser=benners&np=2&cpgm=tripuser

There's a section at the end with advice on transportation, lodging, ect.

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:25 pm

I’ve been down there a few times. The last trip was the most efficient cost wise. Here are the trip reports on SummitPost for Ixta & La Malinche:

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/377355/Iztaccihuatl-UTM.html
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/376073/la-malinche-with-utm.html

We travelled mostly with public transportation this last time. As for buying food, Mexico has modern grocery stores and good markets. The biggest challenge is coordinating your transportation and lodging with hauling all your stuff and buying supplies.

I have also travelled with a self organized group where we have rented VW vans and also hired a driver with a van.

For Orizaba each time I did it from the hut. I question the energy cost of establishing a high camp for how quickly we can hike to where it would be on summit day. We were not roped. Falling and sliding a long way is a higher risk than crevasse.

I’ve not hired a guide, but for Orizaba have used Reyes for transportation to the hut and lodging in town.

I recommend the Pyramids & Castle Chapultepec for site seeing.

I’ve flown into Mexico City each time. There is an Ixta map in my trip report.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby JB99 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:09 pm

Thanks to everyone for your responses, both on this thread and on the one posted by Athos791. I have looked at all of your trip reports at one point or another but it is nice to have them all easily linked right here. A few other questions; how difficult will it be to travel through public transit with little ability to speak Spanish? How hard is the summit day, can it be compared to a 14er in respect to physical difficulty? And finally, how cold was it? I know that is only relevant if I see similar temps but would a 0-20 degree sleeping bag be warm enough given your experience? Thanks.

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:23 pm

Public transportation should be pretty easy as long as you know how to read and pronounce the name of your destination.
Make sure you have directions to the bus station and know how you will get there. Walking, taxi, shuttle, or subway?
Lugging your gear around will be the hard part. You will have to carry it a few times. People may offer to carry it for you but that can be a bad idea. I haven't taken a bus in Mexico in a while, but it used to be well worth it to get a first class ticket. You'll get to watch hilarious movies about cowboys and it won't stop as much.
It's harder than a 14er. You'll probably do an alpine start at 1 or 2 am. You might compare it to climbing Capitol from the trailhead, but it is harder than that. I think it is harder than a summit day on Rainier. And we were well acclimated. Things really slow down up that high.
It was cold the day we up there, 10-15degrees but it was also extremely windy, sustained 20 to 30 mph up high is my guess. That takes it out of you.
Are you sleeping in a tent or in the hut? That bag should be ok either way. Take a down jacket along as well and you could wear that if it gets real cold.

Next