Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TR - Guadalupe Peak, Texas (8,749)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby Eye Doc Hiker » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:08 pm

Are there any other good trails in the area? Something to do before an early afternoon flight out of El Paso?
It's about the journey, not the destination.

http://www.oseyecare.com

way to go

Postby mrtex » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:28 pm

nice trip roozers. guadalupe NP is a favorite of mine and i feel the magnificent landscape there is often overlooked by Big Bend "enthusiasts".

I summitted guadalupe peak in what ended up being the longest day of my life. i headed north on the tejas trail and headed west on the bush trail to bush mountain. from there, we bushwacked from bush to bartlett to shumard and finally to guadulpe peak, descending the guadalupe peak trail back to pine springs camp. not realizing that the sun set at 4:59pm that november day, we left terribly late (8am) and didn't get back to camp until 10 that night. Ill prepared as a result, the four of us had little in warm weather clothes and two headlamps as we trudged thru a foot of snow in the dark on guadalupes N. face.

it was good times, but i have never been so exhausted. i hope you make it back sometime, there is a lot to do and see and McKittrick canyon is really beautiful.

TR:http://thehikersforum.com/GuadalupePk_BushMtn_Tejas_tr.html

Postby MtHurd » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:36 am

Eye Doc Hiker wrote:Are there any other good trails in the area? Something to do before an early afternoon flight out of El Paso?

Yep, if you don't have much time, you can hike the McKittrick Canyon trail (7 miles north of the headquarters on the main highway). If you have time, hike all the way to The Notch. I think the notch is about 4.5 miles one way. If you don't have that much time, you can hike in about 3 miles and still get some damn good scenery in a canyon with 2,000 ft. walls. If you want a dang good hike that won't take long that can be accessed from Pine Spring (headquarters), do the Devils Hall trail. You could probably do a round trip in 2 hours if you hurry. Here is a pic of Devils Hall. Below that is a pic of McKittrick Canyon from The Notch.

Postby Eye Doc Hiker » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks. We are shooting for the last weekend of April? We are taking a bit of a gamble with the weather by booking flights now and locking ourselves in for that weekend. Will arrive late on Friday, fly out on Sunday. In general, is this a good time to climb Guadalupe? What is "average" weather like the end of April?
It's about the journey, not the destination.

http://www.oseyecare.com

Postby AzScott » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:08 pm

The last weekend of April would be great to hike. You'll likely get some warm temps down there and sunny days, and you may get some wind, but it's the Guadalupes. The wind always blows there. All in all, though, that's a great time of year to hike there.

I have to second Barry's recommendation of McKittrick Canyon. I've stayed at the McKittrick Ridge campsite and it's absolutely beautiful. Any hike up into the Bowl is a good day. If it's not too hot, check out the El Capitan trail around the base of the range for some cool desert hiking. It's hard to go wrong there. Hope this helps

Previous