TR - Guadalupe Peak, Texas (8,749)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

TR - Guadalupe Peak, Texas (8,749)

Postby roozers42 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:10 pm

Peak - Guadalupe Peak, Texas (8,749)
Date - February 10, 2007
Partner - Justin Badgerow
TH - Pine Springs Campground

I flew into El Paso on Feb. 8th and drove to Alpine, Texas where I was to play a piano concert at Sul Ross State University the next day. My friend Justin is the piano professor at Sul Ross and it was a great opportunity to play a recital and catch up with good friends. We had some good German food and brews at Edelweiss that night and then I collapsed due to my early departure and long drive.

I played my concert Friday night and went to bed too late for the next day's hike. Justin and I woke up at 6 am and drove to Monahans where he was obligated to accompany some students at a competition. It took a little longer than expected and we weren't able to leave until 11 am. We picked up some fantastic tamales in Pecos and headed to the trailhead. We had been plagued by fog in the morning and overcast skies until we reached Guadalupe Mountains National Park. We began to see some blue skies and had fantastic views and weather for our hike.

We made our way up the switchbacks and were greeted by a very nice formation that we named "Parakeet Rock".

There was more snow than I expected on the north-facing portions of the trail, but it was packed and trail runners were fine. Justin liked the commentary on the sign after the bridge - obscured a bit by his enthusiasm.

The summit was a bit windy, but still comfortable.

We were rewarded on the way back to Alpine with some great lighting on El Capitan. Guadalupe's summit is barely visible behind.

Postby MtHurd » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:49 pm

Congratulations. Bush and Shumard Peaks are in the background of your summit photo, the 2nd and 3rd highest peaks in Texas. It is almost always windy on the summit.

Postby TalusMonkey » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:42 am

Excellent Roozers! I didn't know you were going to be in that area this winter. Great use of your time while down there! Congrats on bagging the Texas highpoint.

I'm probably going to be meeting Wyo_MtnMan at Guadalupe Mountains NP for Spring Break in a few weeks. We'll probably backpack up to the "Bowl" and spend a few days on the peaks. Be a nice escape from the Colorado Ice Age...

Nice job Jen!!!
Last edited by TalusMonkey on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When hiking in bear country one doesn't need to be the fastest runner in the party - just not the slowest."

Postby FlyGirl » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:31 am

Looks like a fun way to spend a day down South.
Leave it to some cowboy to write something silly on their trail sign. Actually, it made me laugh.
In addition to a great day of hiking how was the recital and what did you play?
Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

Postby dave alex » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:07 am

Way to nab this peak, Jen. I've always wanted to do this HP, but have never had any reason to go down to Texas. It will happen someday.

Postby roozers42 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:02 am

Thanks, guys!

I probably wouldn't have even considered a trip down to this area if it hadn't been for Justin's new job and this recital. Now that this highpoint is done, I suppose I'll start working on the other western ones.

FlyGirl -

I played Brahms Op. 10 Ballades, Bach prelude and fugue in B-flat minor from WTC book II, and Beethoven piano sonata Op. 11 in C minor. With the exception of the Bach scaring the crap out of me, the recital went okay. :)

Postby Oman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:14 am

oops
Last edited by Oman on Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby FlyGirl » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:52 pm

roozers42 wrote: With the exception of the Bach scaring the crap out of me, the recital went okay. :)

Bach scares me, too. Especially fugues.
Would be like the knife edge of Capitol.
That's why I prefer Scarlatti in the Baroque era.
He's more like Mt Massive from the Halfmoon approach. :lol:
Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

I climbed El Capitan on Feb. 3rd - miss Guadalupe Peak

Postby thebear007 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:29 pm

Congrats on your successful summit of Guadalupe Peak! I was there a week before you in the park on my way home from a ski vacation.

I climbed the Guadalupe Peak trail and followed it up past the campsite on top of the mountains and following someone's foot-steps through waist-deep snow until they stopped and turned back around. Apparently they were lost so now I was too, I made my own tracks in three different directions, but saw the only way down was a cliff and that was not going to happen. I could see the trail lead up to another peak [Guadalupe Peak] from the other side of the cliff, and only needed another 300-400 feet on elevation. So, I headed south and came across a spectacular view. It had to be on El Capitan with that view, plus I was just one cliff down and up the next peak to the highest point in Texas.

Winds were 40-50 mph up there and waist deep snow everywhere, I had to turn back and go down. I will go back out there against this spring/summer and get all the way to Guadalupe Peak. What a great place here in Texas.
The Year of 007

Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:54 pm

That's pretty sweet, Jen! What a way to spend a weekend. You had a great time. Nice way to follow up a good recital. Guadaloupe must be easier then I imagine it to be. 11:00am start time? nice!
Congrats!!

Postby roozers42 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:00 pm

FlyGirl - you are right on! The fugues are especially scary and of course my prelude happens to be one that is similar to the three-voice sinfonias. I played it again at school today and it went much better. :)

Skaagaard - it was about 8.5 miles and 3,000 feet of gain so with our good weather we thought we'd be fine. I packed the head-lamp in my suitcase just in case, though. Without any snow it would be a really quick hike because the grade is very gentle.

Bear - there were a few spots on the trail that were VERY windy! Justin almost lost his cap as we topped out after the first switchbacks.

Postby MtHurd » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:07 pm

Skasgaard wrote:That's pretty sweet, Jen! What a way to spend a weekend. You had a great time. Nice way to follow up a good recital. Guadaloupe must be easier then I imagine it to be. 11:00am start time? nice!
Congrats!!

Because they blasted through the limestone cliffs to make the trail, the peak is fairly easy. You can summit in 2 hours at a good pace, especially if you are used to Colorado altitudes. It's really too bad because without the trail, it would be much much more difficult.

Next