Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wheeler Peak, NM ?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Wheeler Peak, NM ?

Postby Cruiser » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Anyone know if the Williams Lake Trail is accessable during the winter? Wheeler has been on the list for quite a while now, but it looks like I won't be spending as much time in New Mexico in the future. I was hoping that I could skin / ski it over the holliday weekend, but the Bull of the Woods Trail is way too long for a simple day trip. Any info would be appreciated.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Daniel Trugman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:58 pm

You would think it would be, being as close as it is to Taos Ski Valley.
"When mountains speak, wise men listen."
-- John Muir

Postby rijaca » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Well the TH ought to be accessible considering it starts at the ski area. The route from Williams Lake to the summit ridge is considered avalanche prone terrain. It's a steep 2000 vertical ft ascent to the summit from the lake.

Postby Jason Halladay » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:59 pm

It'll be open. There's enough houses and the restaurant up there that the road is plowed just beyond the real TH. Indeed the slopes up from the lake to the summit are steep and prone to slides as rijaca says but we've had a nice spell of dry, warm weather that should have consolidated things well. However, a big storm is predicted to swing in here tomorrow through Thursday morning so this may change by next weekend.

Tent Rocks

Postby Smacko » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:30 pm

If your looking for something with out snow, ask any outdoor prone person about Tent Rock trail in the Jemez near Bandilear (spelling). It has some really neat tuff formation and a long very narrow canyon up to a mesa peak. It will be class 2 but still do-able for most family members.
Have fun and if you deside to do something near Taos, please send a trip report, iv always wanted to try that in the winter.
"Praise God and throw hand grenades!"

Postby JayMiller » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:36 pm

It's too late now. Cruiser came down this last week-end. We didn't climb Wheeler. Instead I put him to work on a project to get my house ready to sell so that I can move to the Denver. Am I a rat or what?
My Philosophy on Life: If you wake up alive and well ... Shut the heck up.

Postby Cruiser » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:55 pm

Yup, my plan was to try to ski Wheeler. But, alas I guess it'll have to wait. Somehow things came up that seemed more important. By the way the snow at Pajarito (Los Alamos) was excellent.
Where ever you are... There you are.