Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Aborted Smokies ascent...

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Aborted Smokies ascent...

Postby bisleybum » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:54 pm

Believe it or not, this is my first winter climb in the Smokies, despite having lived here for most of the last twenty-five years. Why did we abort? Because we're pushing 60 hard. Here is our trip report.

http://www.josieshollow.com/kephart.html
Let our walking be as breathing,
and our breathing be as walking.

Postby Kojones » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:36 pm

Sounds like it was fun to get out there and hike around for a while. Hopefully your next try will work out.

That brought me back to my adventure climbing the Roller Coaster on the Appalachian Trail. This is a 15-mile up-and-down section that summits 10 peaks. I wish I could go back and thru hike the whole thing. That was one of my life goals... but has since been replaced by Everest.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."

Tennessee hiker

Postby KenE » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:48 am

Hey Bisleybum,

Where are you in East Tennessee? I was raised in Powell and Sweetwater.

If your interested I can put you in touch with my Dad in Sweetwater. He's a bit older than you, he'll be 76 this year, but flat out knows his stuff. He hikes Smokies, Tellicos, Cumberland Gap, Cumberland plateau etc.

Good call on Kephart. Pushing 60 isn't the time to be taking tumbles.

All the Best,
Ken

Postby bisleybum » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:20 am

We live in Blount County south of Maryville. We're just four miles from the southwest boundary of the GSM, and can be in there and hiking in 15 minutes. However, a drive to Newfound Gap is 65 miles and an hour and a half drive. We're both in very good shape (aerobically) and the other three seasons have never been a problem. I want to stay in good shape mentally too, but when I encounter something like that ice sheet, the things that go through your mind... ("old fool, trying to get your wife killed", or "people are gonna have to haul your sorry a** down this slick slope") I'll take bear encounters over ice anytime. Since I'm doing Gray/Torreys this summer I just wanted to look for the greater elevation gains along the AT. My wife wants us to section hike the southern portions this summer.
Let our walking be as breathing,
and our breathing be as walking.