Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Check out this mountain pass

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby tshesky » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:04 pm

:o Wow. I guess 3 or 4 feet elevation in swamp country really is significant.

shanahan96 wrote:forget chains, they don't even "dare" to drive in the south when there's an inch of snow on the ground; it's too dangerous. you'd die laughing at the pictures on the front page of the newspapers of "major winter storm" with a kid sledding and the bare grass showing his decent route.

jamie

Yep. Everything is relative. I grew up in the UP of Michigan where anything less than a 12" snowfall was "nothing". But when I was living in El Paso TX, there was one day when my then g/f told me not to visit her because of the dangerous driving conditions. There were flurries with no accumulation. I just laughed at her and said, fine, I'll run some errands instead.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Postby gsliva » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:07 pm

A pass in the tidal waters means an opening in the outer jetties or barrier island. There are lots of them up and down the Gulf Coast. Main Pass, Matagorda Pass etc. Sorry but it's not a joke just an opening in the island that lets ships out or water for that matter.

For once us flat landers got one on you mountain folks.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby gsliva » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:09 pm

Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby rollin » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:08 pm

That's what I call peak bagging. Hey just thought of something.... the sign is taller than the pass.

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:40 am

CO Native wrote:0.9 meters :shock: :shock:

I agree Scott, that sign is ludicrous.

Pass (n) - 4. way through mountains - Geography a way through or over mountains.

Perhaps just to either side and barely out of the photo are some of Florida's largest mountians. Oh wait, the state high point is only 345 feet.

I believe that high point is a garbage mound! After all it's a Three Hundreder!
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Skip Perkins » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:11 am

Hey, You Colorado (and Kentucky) altitude snobs are dissin some of our training areas. We want and need to know when there is a serious change in terrain so we can adjust our pace. It is especially important while bike training so we can figure out when we have to use a derailleaur.

My favorite xc ski race is in Ashland, WI and posts the altitude variances on a large poster by the registration booth. Since the race is for 10k across a bay on Lake Superior, the change of altitude is pretty much a flat-liner.

Postby colopilot2002 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:06 pm

gsliva, the pict of that "pass" in the orginal post sure dosent look like a water way to me... lol

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:52 am

Skip Perkins wrote:Hey, You Colorado (and Kentucky) altitude snobs are dissin some of our training areas. We want and need to know when there is a serious change in terrain so we can adjust our pace. It is especially important while bike training so we can figure out when we have to use a derailleaur.

My favorite xc ski race is in Ashland, WI and posts the altitude variances on a large poster by the registration booth. Since the race is for 10k across a bay on Lake Superior, the change of altitude is pretty much a flat-liner.

Hey Skip: The reason I thought this post was so funny, is that I just got back from skiing MY local slopes......in INDIANA. I only live at 920ft above sea level and the top of the ski area (Perfect North SLopes) which is an hour and twenty minutes away is only 800' altitude. They have 400' of vertical.......and that's only because it sits in the Ohio River Valley. I know that sounds like a real "altitude snob" :lol: It's actually a well run facility and the skiing is fun and you can stay tuned up for those too infrequent western ski trips.

Sort of like our local "mountain biking" venues, which are mainly around lake shores. No altitude but lots of up and down, so that by the end of the day you have done some "climbing".

Like in WI, ya jest takes what ya kin git! :wink:
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby stevepack » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:35 pm

I don't know about the tire chains, but acclimatization to such an extreme altitude could take a while. Might want to start taking your diamox before you go. :shock:

Chicago Transplant wrote::lol: I love it! I wonder if they would require chains in the snow :lol:

Postby Randy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:10 am

That is a funny sign and reminded me of my first trip out west. As a mountaineer we all covet out personal altitude record. well I grew up in Nh and on my first trip to the sierras (driving) I shattered my all time high without getting out of the car, I kind of enjoyed that.

Previous