Spring Break National Park trip

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Spring Break National Park trip

Post by SoCool »

snowymountainsrock wrote:quick national park trip over spring break
The OP requests info for a short trip, and he only gets 47 responses?!?! We need more advice on this thread!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I hate to start another debate, but personally, I'd recommend avoiding Goblin Valley and Little Wildhorse over Easter Weekend as well. It will be a zoo, guarenteed. Goblin Valley, Little Wildhorse, Moab, and Zion are the most popular Easter destinations in Utah. I don'the mean a few crows, but an actual zoo (Zion is more spread out though, so there are still parts of the park that won'the be bad. There is also a shuttle system, so Zion is very reasonable on holidays). I would not however suggest staying away from Utah though. There are plenty of beautiful areas to see outside those three areas that are still easy to get to. This is true even if you have to go to a National Park.

PS, buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Technical-Can ... 0944510272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be aware though that the descriptions aren't super detailed (but always adequate in my opinion) and that the author is a fast hiker.

Just flipping through that book will give you plenty of ideas of where to go.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Le Marmot »

Given the timing I believe it's going to be tough staying away from crowds. If pictographs are your thing, try horseshoe canyon on the northwest side of canyonlands north of hanksville. There is a primitive campground at the trailhead on the canyon rim. Its a nice hike/walk into the canyon to the numerous alcove panels, leading to the amazing ghost panel of barrier style pictographs. If you have time, another nice canyon stroll can be found at natural bridges ntl monument. Three natural bridges in the canyon with ruins and glyphs as well. The campground will undoubtedly be full but few visitors venture into the canyon and take the entire loop. Best of luck!
Its got ELECTROLYTES!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Given the timing I believe it's going to be tough staying away from crowds.
Most of Utah is actually empty, even during Spring Break. This is true even is many of the more scenic and get to areas. Most of the use is actually confined to a few areas such as Moab, the Goblin Valley area, the National Parks, and a few popular and well known hikes (such as the Paria or Coyote Gulch).

The book linked in the thread before should give many ideas.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Le Marmot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Le Marmot »

Scott P wrote:
Given the timing I believe it's going to be tough staying away from crowds.
Most of Utah is actually empty, even during Spring Break.
True, I was keeping with the national park topic as the op requested. Arches, Island in the sky, needles, and anywhere near moab would not be suggestions.
Its got ELECTROLYTES!