White Mountains Hut to Hut hike vs. Pikes Peak Barr Camp

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Re: White Mountains Hut to Hut hike vs. Pikes Peak Barr Camp

Post by MtnHub »

AyeYo wrote:
markhingston wrote:Make sure somebody has some deet-based insect repellent. If the black flies are still active, you'll need it to keep from being eaten alive.
Can't believe I missed this in my post and no one else has mentioned it. In my short time in CO I've already forgotten what the bugs are like in the Northeast. You will be destroyed by black flies and mosquitoes below treeline if you do not have good repellent. Do not forget it!

On another bug related note, ticks are much more of an issue out there than they are here and also far more likely to carry Lime Disease. If you go off path below treeline, be sure to check yourself afterward.
Depending upon the time of year, this is certainly true. But I was under the impression black flies are mainly a concern in spring and early summer. It's been awhile since I've been out there, but all the times I hiked in the Whites (always mid-to-late July and into August), I never had a problem with bugs other than the usual, occasional bite. I don't like bug spray and rarely use it, and I never used anything out there.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Tuckerman's is very good also.

EDIT

Re: bugs... I've never had an issue with black flies in NH at any time of the year either, but mosquitoes are a constant issue.
CUaaron25
14ers: 58  2  4 
13ers: 150 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CUaaron25 »

Txhiker42 wrote:I appreciate all the detailed and excellent advice given. Sounds like unless we have perfect weather and no black flies, it would definitely be Type 2 fun! Seriously, though, I've got lots of thing to consider, but I think we might just go for it. After all, a day in the mountains sure beats any day at work. And we'd be very close to a couple of the best breweries in the U.S. (Hill Farmstead and Alchemist).
And one of the best beer joints in the country! Ebenezer's Brewpub in Lovell, ME!
markhingston
14ers: 51 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markhingston »

One of the many joys of hiking in Colorado is the minimal bug problem, though there always seem to be mosquitos at Lake Como.

Black flies vary by season depending on the available water, temperature and your elevation. They can be bad, but in NH they are rarely bug-netting, spring in Alaska bad. (Black flies are the state bird in Maine, I'm told.) Many people hike with a light windbreaker (with hood) and deet on hands and face. In late June and early July, they may be gone from the valleys but still active higher up. Good news: the wind keeps them at bay, so don't curse it too much. You could check with the AMC at Pinkham Notch or Crawford Notch to see what conditions are like.

Ticks are certainly also a concern, but please don't go off-trail. There is no need. Especially above treeline, you are in a fragile alpine environment that sees tons of visitors and off-trail hiking damages the fragile and rare plant life. Plants (and hikers, sometimes) have a hard time in the Presidentials because the weather is so harsh. I'm sure you'll get an earful or two about all this on your trip.

Happy trails and, yes, there is lots of great beer.
tomcat32
14ers: 21  4 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by tomcat32 »

One other note, don't wander off trail too much above treeline. The rangers and hut croos will be all over you. Two instances I can report first hand.

1. I was climbing Washington on a Sunday via Huntington. On the final bit I think it becomes Nelson Crag TR, at that point it was very busy. There was a ranger talking to three people blocking the wide rock lined trail over 100% rock. We stepped around and the ranger flipped out at us for veering off trail.
2. At Lakes of the Clouds Hut an AT Thru Hiker was sitting on the rocks around the hut and laid back in the grass. A croo member got his name, flipped out at him and actually called ahead to the next hut to warn them he might be a problem. I know the Tundra in New England is limited and fragile but both cases seemed overkill.

As for bugs, I never had a problem with them much at elevation. It was always lowlands that they were an issue particularly near water, especially boggy areas. One are that comes to mind is the low elevations in the Wild River Wilderness. Higher up it is usually breezy enough to deter them.

If you get the chance, I think the northern end of the Presi Range is nicer and big mountain feel with more sustained views, but if you're coming from the west maybe the southern range and hiking in the thick spruce forest has more appeal.

One last note, bring ear plugs for hut sleeping. If I remember some of the huts have them available but they tend to be noisy and always have snorers.