First trip to the Winds - Advice?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

First trip to the Winds - Advice?

Post by CarpeDM »

My wife and I are joining her parents on a backpacking trip to the Wind River Range in Wyoming in a couple of weeks. Her parents have backpacked in the area a number of times, and have done a number of peaks, but are no longer peak-baggers really. I am not counting on being able to break off on my own on a peak-bagging rampage, but I might be able to get a couple on my own or with the wife.

Anyone have advice on non-technical peak-bagging (scrambles would be nice) in the Big Sandy Lake area? Or any other information/experiences you want to share? They have also mentioned day-hiking up to Cirque of the Towers from camp, and possibly doing an easy route on Mitchell Peak.

Thanks
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
waltoncito
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: First trip to the Winds - Advice?

Post by waltoncito »

Cirque of Towers had some good scrambles up to connecting ridges and saddles of the Cirque if I remember correctly (was there over 10 years ago). Obviously the Cirque is mostly technical but there are many good hiking options in and around that basin. Sorry I can't be more specific but I do remember the Cirque having a few decent scrambles.

Don't forget insect repellant...mosquitoes and horseflies are everywhere.
youngk2844
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by youngk2844 »

If you all are able to go in near Pinedale at Elkheart Park, the hike into Island Lake and Titcomb Basin is excellent and you could climb Fremont Peak and Jackson Peak from the Indian Pass side while others hIke up the basin. Both are non technical climbs. Fremont is Wyoming's third highest peak after Gannett and The Grand.
jeremy27
14ers: 36  3 
13ers: 67 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeremy27 »

east temple peak is an awesome time. the loop by deep and temple lake is well worth a day.
bohlsen
14ers: 26 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohlsen »

You can climb many of the towers of the Cirque via non-technical scrambles from the west. I'd recommend Joe Kelsey's book "Climbing and hiking in the Wind River Mountains". It mostly focuses on class 5 climbing but it also has everything you would need to know for non-technical ascents.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
SharonH
14ers: 34 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SharonH »

Not exactly climbing advice, but I have never experienced mosquitos as bad as on a trip to the Wind River Range. Bring lots of mosquito repellant and a head net if you want to keep your sanity.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

SharonH wrote:Not exactly climbing advice, but I have never experienced mosquitos as bad as on a trip to the Wind River Range. Bring lots of mosquito repellant and a head net if you want to keep your sanity.
Absolutely agree. A head net should be mandatory camping gear for the Winds. If you're going in late August they probably will have died down some at least. I went at the end of July and it was insane.

I don't know of many scrambles up there besides Mitchell and Wind River Peak. I'm sure there are some others. The hike to Big Sandy Lake is very easy and goes quickly. The hike to the Cirque from there isn't terribly hard either.
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MatB »

Warbonnet offers a decent scramble and is approached before Jackass Pass which makes it great if you are camping around Big Sandy.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripmine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want more info, pm me.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity