Who is climbing Rainier 2015?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Climbdent
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Who is climbing Rainier 2015?

Post by Climbdent »

globreal wrote:From what I understand, climbing Rainier solo is not allowed. You must be on a roped team. I think the fine is $500 or $600. You may want to check on this.
http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/u ... 015_v2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; < their is the form for solo climbs
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

solo climbing is allowed.
High_On_Thin_Air
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by High_On_Thin_Air »

Two others and myself will be attempting Rainier next week. We are thinking Gibraltar Ledges but will make an assessment once we get on the glacier. Standard routes will be descent and/or backup ascent plan.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Climbdent wrote:
globreal wrote:From what I understand, climbing Rainier solo is not allowed. You must be on a roped team. I think the fine is $500 or $600. You may want to check on this.
http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/u ... 015_v2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; < their is the form for solo climbs
Ok. That is great to know about. Thanks for posting this.

I guess a climbing friend of mine from Colorado got his fine for not having the permit then. I do remember hearing that his partner(s) got ill and couldn't climb and so he went anyway and then got caught. And it cost him like $500-$600.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

globreal wrote:
Climbdent wrote:
Ok. That is great to know about. Thanks for posting this.

I guess a climbing friend of mine from Colorado got his fine for not having the permit then. I do remember hearing that his partner(s) got ill and couldn't climb and so he went anyway and then got caught. And it cost him like $500-$600.
You absolutely can climb rainier (or Denali, or any other mountain in a National Park) solo - you just need a solo permit. They typically have a waiting period with these to prevent people from just showing up on an impulse. Britt, I believe the friend you are referring to fell into this situation, where they did not have time to obtain the solo permit.

In general the NPS does not turn people away if they follow proper procedure. They might try and talk you out of it, but if you are set on going solo, you would get a permit. It is entertaining coming up with answers to the questions.

Q: What will you do if you fall into a crevasse while you are solo?
A: ???????? :lol:
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
sergeisorkin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sergeisorkin »

I Man wrote:You absolutely can climb rainier (or Denali, or any other mountain in a National Park) solo - you just need a solo permit. They typically have a waiting period with these to prevent people from just showing up on an impulse. Britt, I believe the friend you are referring to fell into this situation, where they did not have time to obtain the solo permit.

In general the NPS does not turn people away if they follow proper procedure. They might try and talk you out of it, but if you are set on going solo, you would get a permit. It is entertaining coming up with answers to the questions.

Does anyone have experience with filling out these solo request forms? I had read online that it is not "easy" to get approved -- i.e. they do indeed have a criteria and will reject you if they deem you to lack the proper credentials.
I believe the specific example was someone had summited Mont Blanc before, but was rejected as Rainier's glaciers were of a higher danger level. I'm having a tough time finding the site this was on, so I am para-phrasing.

I have similar experience -- numerous winter/spring/fall 14er ascents in variable conditions; Mont Blanc unguided (roped, 2-man team) -- but no FORMAL training (by this I mean no certifications or classes to point out specifically). Obviously I can fill out the form fine as far as self-rescue situations go etc, but it feels like they are looking for formal training.

I will be up there on the tail end of the season Sept 17 - 20, but wanted to solo climb Rainier either directly before or after those dates (if possible).
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

I Man wrote: Q: What will you do if you fall into a crevasse while you are solo?
Well, see I have this here 30 feet long pole that I carry horizontally to prevent that from happening! \:D/
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

sergeisorkin wrote:
I Man wrote:You absolutely can climb rainier (or Denali, or any other mountain in a National Park) solo - you just need a solo permit. They typically have a waiting period with these to prevent people from just showing up on an impulse. Britt, I believe the friend you are referring to fell into this situation, where they did not have time to obtain the solo permit.

Does anyone have experience with filling out these solo request forms? I had read online that it is not "easy" to get approved -- i.e. they do indeed have a criteria and will reject you if they deem you to lack the proper credentials.
I believe the specific example was someone had summited Mont Blanc before, but was rejected as Rainier's glaciers were of a higher danger level. I'm having a tough time finding the site this was on, so I am para-phrasing.

I have similar experience -- numerous winter/spring/fall 14er ascents in variable conditions; Mont Blanc unguided (roped, 2-man team) -- but no FORMAL training (by this I mean no certifications or classes to point out specifically). Obviously I can fill out the form fine as far as self-rescue situations go etc, but it feels like they are looking for formal training.

I will be up there on the tail end of the season Sept 17 - 20, but wanted to solo climb Rainier either directly before or after those dates (if possible).
I haven't heard of any formal, or semi formal, classes which teach or certify solo glacial mountaineering. I've seen some self rescue rock courses, but even those are aimed at handling an incapacitated partner. never seen any real solo classes.
and the regular crevasse rescue training or mountaineering skills for rope teams and protection wouldn't really apply.
meg383
Trip Reports (0)

Post by meg383 »

pvnisher wrote:anyone get their permit/pass/reservation yet? I faxed mine in March. I know they said it could be a while, just curious of anyone had gotten a reply yet.
We sent ours late March as well, I think, and just got them this week.
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

Anybody who sent their permit request in April hear anything yet?
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I sent mine in March and am still waiting!
JonW
14ers: 14 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JonW »

I sent my request in March and heard a few weeks ago.