Who is climbing Rainier 2015?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chico_P
Trip Reports (0)

Who is climbing Rainier 2015?

Post by Chico_P »

Just curious who is planning on climbing Rainier this summer? And what your over all plans are? Like are you going guided/unguided, what type of trainning, number of people In your team? Type of gear you can't live with out, one or two pairs of under wear. You know questions like that To help pick my brain so I don't miss something. And also in case there is a solo climber looking for a couple partners, applications can be taken here. LoL

My partner and I are looking at June July time frame
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Who is climbing Rainier 2015?

Post by GregMiller »

Planning a trip in Mid July to do Emmons-Winthrop Glacier unguided, planning on a team of 3 or 4. Did DC in middle of last July. Coming from CO, with lots of hiking over the winter, I felt fine doing DC unguided*, having taken a crevasse rescue course (as a rope team) from CMS. I'll probably take a glacier travel course before July, just to get a bit more knowledge on that front.

As far as gear, I did take (and will take) two pairs of underwear (and other baselayers), just because it felt really nice to change clothes when we crawled back in the tent after summiting. I'll have to look back, I know there are a couple of forum threads on here about gear for Rainier. Feel free to ask more specific questions, haven't had quite enough coffee yet this morning to remember specifics without prompting.

Good book on the subject, if you don't have it yet: Glacier Mountaineering: An Illustrated Guide to Glacier Travel

* Do note, the DC route is a heavily wanded trench, and you'll be following right behind guided groups if you decided to go that way, especially around a weekend, so 'unguided' isn't entirely accurate on the DC.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Been up Rainier 3 times, once solo. I'm going back this year for a fourth time because it's spectacular and never gets old. If you stick to the standard route there is no need for a guide. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

As you can see, if you have specific questions, post them here and there are plenty of experienced folks who can help you. Like kushrocks, I've been on Rainier the past three years running, all unguided: DC in 2012 (success), Liberty Ridge in 2013 (bailed) and Kautz Glacier in 2014 (success).

The No. 1 thing I've learned? Leave the comforts at home. Go as light as possible -- carrying a 40-pound pack with no frills is far more enjoyable than carrying a 55-pound pack with a camp pillow, clothing changes, fancy meals, etc. There are others who might disagree, but my pack weight has gone down and my enjoyment rate has gone up every year. If I were to go back to one of the standard routes (DC or Emmons), I'm confident I could do it safely with a 35-pound pack.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

SurfNTurf wrote: The No. 1 thing I've learned? Leave the comforts at home. Go as light as possible -- carrying a 40-pound pack with no frills is far more enjoyable than carrying a 55-pound pack with a camp pillow, clothing changes, fancy meals, etc. There are others who might disagree, but my pack weight has gone down and my enjoyment rate has gone up every year. If I were to go back to one of the standard routes (DC or Emmons), I'm confident I could do it safely with a 35-pound pack.
This. Others might disagree, sure...but they are wrong. Lighter IS better. Every time. Always.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
spadflyer12
14ers: 19  1 
13ers: 7 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by spadflyer12 »

I gave it a shot on Sunday, made it to 11k on Gib Ledges before getting shut down by 7-8 serac falls that we heard in the dark. I'll probably be back up there 1-2 times this summer. Once for Lib Ridge, once to solo like DC or something easy. This year has been a super, super, super, warm year.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I've only been up once (was one of SurfNTurf's partner on Kautz) and I'll echo ALL the comments here, so far. We did a carry over, bivying in the summit crater, and walked off the DC. It was tough enough at 40lbs...I wouldn't have wanted to go any heavier and honestly, unpacked a few items I never touched once we got back to the Whittaker bunks...I'd agree that 35lbs would doable "SAFELY" if you pack smart (i.e., don't pack a pair of poles AND an ice axe, stow your puffy in pouch for a camp pillow, carry single wall tent and split poles and fabric between packs if possible). "One thing that can't live without"? LOTS of memory card space for pictures :-D

As far as the DC route goes...we had about 30' visibility (see my avatar picture) the morning we departed from the summit and had ZERO issues with route finding. The wands are plentiful and the trench should be VERY well beaten, by late June/July.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

I Man wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote: The No. 1 thing I've learned? Leave the comforts at home. Go as light as possible -- carrying a 40-pound pack with no frills is far more enjoyable than carrying a 55-pound pack with a camp pillow, clothing changes, fancy meals, etc. There are others who might disagree, but my pack weight has gone down and my enjoyment rate has gone up every year. If I were to go back to one of the standard routes (DC or Emmons), I'm confident I could do it safely with a 35-pound pack.
This. Others might disagree, sure...but they are wrong. Lighter IS better. Every time. Always.
Oh come on fellers...sometimes comforts are very nice. I hauled a 2.2 lb block of Tillamook cheddar and a 1996 mini-boombox up the Tahoma Glacier in 2009 and man both were thoroughly enjoyable. Plus, its a better workout :) On the other hand, I do like light as well. OK, you win.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

I Man wrote:...Others might disagree, sure...but they are wrong...
:lol:
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Funny, I was just talking to my nephew last night about doing Rainier and had sent him this link. I'm hoping that maybe I can do it in 2016...

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue17.html?autoflip=15
Chico_P
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chico_P »

I've been doing a ton of winter camping with summit attempts this winter. Trying to dial in my pack essentials to get the weight right where I want it. I'm sure I can get it down a few more pounds.
yedi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yedi »

I'm planning to do Emmons in late June, assuming there's any snow left. I'm going unguided, with a group of three, potentially four. I'll be shooting to keep my packweight sub-40lbs (so one pair of underwear, or two thongs - possibly a game time decision). I live in Seattle, so my conditioning trails are different than yours, but I'm getting out a couple times a week in addition to going to the gym. I'm doing 5-6k feet a week with a 25-30lb pack. As the days get longer, I'll be getting out three times a week and up my gains to 8-10k per week with my trip packweight.