Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wichita Mountains

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby AirborneBuff » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:45 am

I moved from Boulder to Fort Sill in the early 90s and hiked and climbed there as an escape. Great place, I really enjoyed it.

the Witchitas

Postby notallwhowander » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:07 am

I went to college in OKC, and I went to the Witchita Wildlife Refuge at least once a month with my friends over that 4 year period. It became our solace, and now is my favorite all time place to go camping and hiking. Just watch out for the microscopic ticks during the summer! We spent hours rubbing and plucking those monsters out of our legs. But swimming in the prohibited resevoirs is awesome. Nothing like the forbidden to create excitement and meaning in one's life! Speaking of, that sign at the entrance "Keep your distance... Longhorns and buffaloes are dangerous"... yeah, that's true. You know how when you're in college you do stupid things...

Postby upndown » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:07 am

hmmm... I've always wondered if that sign is referring to Texas and Colorado.

Postby yoak » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:30 pm

you know everytime i have been to the charon gardens wilderness i have found less than a handful of what the norm would call water sources, sure there are a few waterin holes but for the most part it is somewhat difficult to find unless you stay on the main trail in the back country(sounds a little funny 2 me). I fall on the side of bern0416 when it comes to finding water off the elk mountain trail. it is a beautiful place that deserves more recognition. the ticks in summer are a pain in the arse youre rite notallwhowander. found 10 on me in 5 minutes, those little bastards 'll getcha! you ready for the top of colorado mrtex/bern.....next weekend!

Postby notallwhowander » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:19 pm

well now you know, upndown. how does enlightenment feel??

Postby bern0416 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:44 pm

yoak wrote: you ready for the top of colorado mrtex/bern.....next weekend!

I look forward to it Yoak. Nothin like tarping it at 12,000ft in February.
It's always some kinda crazy extreme with you guys.

We have always had a more difficult time with water in Charon Gardens. The drought this year didn't help. We need to PM Barry next time and get water source locations, Bro.

Postby MtHurd » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:28 pm

I have been all over the Charons Garden and there is water all over the place. There was even some on the summit of Mt. Mitchell when Alan and I were there last month.

Postby bern0416 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:00 pm

Thanks for the info, Barry. I'll contact you next time I'm headed up there if that's okay.

Postby MtHurd » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:55 pm

As soon as it gets warmer, I'll be up there.

Previous