Rainier - Emmons Route

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Rainier - Emmons Route

Post by mtn_nut »

In July I climbed the Emmons Route on Rainier with Sean O'Rourke (Dr. Dirtbag).

My write up about the trip was published in the most recent issue of TrailGroove Magazine, which went live yesterday.

http://www.trailgroove.com/issue17.html?autoflip=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy, and as always I appreciate any feedback. If you like the magazine, you can subscribe for free on the TrailGroove homepage.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Rainier - Emmons Route

Post by nyker »

Great photos and writeup!
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

nyker wrote:Great photos and writeup!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

-Ted
MilesLivesOn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MilesLivesOn »

Great TR, on my list now. Site is well designed to boot. Thanks.
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

MilesLivesOn wrote:Great TR, on my list now. Site is well designed to boot. Thanks.
Thanks. Its a free magazine, with all of the back issues free as well. If you like it, you can subscribe on the home page.

-Ted
SeattleHc100er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeattleHc100er »

Ted, dude...that night shot of Rainier with the cabin is top class. I'm tempted to ask you how you got that shot and with what setup. The picture had spectacular clarity for night conditions. But I'm sure you keep secrets of the trade secret haha. Solid write up. The description of a couple of the crevasse considerations is useful. Looked like a cool route to climb; physically challenging but without an obnoxious amount of technical cruxes to work through. Also, I think I vaguely remember us talking about Mt.Whitney when I brought you to the trailhead. I'm going to be reserving an entire 2-3 day slot ( for up to 6 people ) in July/August sometime for the Mountaineers route, with a standard route finish to complete the Whitney Portal loop if I can get the requisite lottery passes. If you were one of the people I talked to about that, do you want me to keep you in mind for an invite?
mtn_nut
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

I shot it with my Ricoh GR. Nothing fancy except some minor lightroom post processing. Used a zipshot mini tripod for the long exposure. The camera has a fantastic lens and a great sensor.

I'm interested in Whitney. I'm going to try for a lottery spot again next year, but if you get one, me and an LA friend are definitely interested.