Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cool MidWest hikes/climbs?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby mtnmaniac » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Having lived in Cedar Rapids for 11 years, and Klinger (find that one!) for 5 before that I visted Coraville area 100's of times. The repetative loops of Suger Bottom don't compare to CO singletrack, unless you enjoy hords of wannabes riding like idiots. And that's an understatement.
Last edited by mtnmaniac on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Living

Postby Flat Lander » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:17 pm

i think no matter where you live there is good and bad. you have to take the good and shed the bad. on a grand scheme, i agree that colorado has better climbing and riding, but there are also dozens of crappy things about colorado. i guess i just have a lot of Iowa pride.

you take the waves with you . . .

One more thing...

Postby Flat Lander » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:22 pm

i also agree that there are tons of great canoe/kayak trips in iowa. we usually turn them into two or three day trips and camp on sandbars overnight. check out this website:

http://www.paddlingiowa.com/

RC

Postby birdsall » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:27 pm

mtnmaniac wrote:After all the river comments I have to admit instant access to canoeing, tubing (the beer-drinking float trip kind), and boating is one thing I miss. There's no shortage of water, that's foooh shooooh.

that's really the best. one tube for the beer, cell phones in zip locs, complete breakdown of all organization by hour 3.

There's absolutely good things about Iowa I miss. But the tradeoff is pretty good.

Postby mtnmaniac » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:03 pm

You think you've seen it all til you go on a tube float trip. \:D/

Postby JB Allen » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:12 pm

Having lived in both places I'd have to chose CO. The heat & humidity in the summer. The cold cuts right through you no matter how many layers you have on in the winter. And that's inside as well as outside. The good thing about living here is when you do go out west or anywhere for that matter, the weather is a piece of cake. CO weather is easy & sunny.

Back here we work that 1st job & work that 2nd job. A good paying job here, in Iowa? When living in CO I worked 1 job. In Iowa 2 jobs. Even though prices are lower than CO. It's just that you don't make much over minimum wage. Even with a college degree. A good paying job in Iowa??? I've never had one. (Sorry about the rant)

But here in Iowa we have hiked all of the state parks everybody has mentioned. Plus Effigy Mounds Nat Park north of McGregor, IA. I enjoyed that hike most of all. We have also canoed the "Grand Canyon of the Upper Iowa river", as National Geographic calls it. A relaxing float down the river. Devils lake is a great place to hike or climb as far as the midwest goes.

Good luck with the move. I don't know, I hope to get back out west to stay soon, but I don't know if that will ever happen...
JB Allen...

CG_old

Re: Living

Postby CG_old » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Flat Lander wrote:but there are also dozens of crappy things about colorado

Like what? Just curious what people see as bad points...

Re: Living

Postby Kruck » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Chris Gerber wrote:Like what? Just curious what people see as bad points...

In Colorado, an 18-inch largemouth bass is considered for the state yearbook. In Iowa, an 18-incher is considered my dinner each May.

Postby Kruck » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:44 pm

I almost have to take that last one back. In Colorado, I can pull trout out of water almost at-will. In Iowa, I can pull trout out of a freezer at Fareway.

Postby JB Allen » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:55 pm

Let's see, bad things about CO:

the Denver Traffic,
the smog in the front range,
housing prices,
car insurance prices.

Pretty much everything all of us go to the mountians to escape from.

Anyplace you live here in the states is what you make it.

But with that said I'd still take CO any day of the week as my place to live.
Just can't right now...
JB Allen...

Postby JB Allen » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:57 pm

In northern Iowa they bite on corn. But then again they are corn fed, like the deer...
JB Allen...

Postby mtnmaniac » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:02 pm

Except for fish, it's pretty d@mn hard to beat the quality and the prices of any product at Fareway. Used to be a meat counter boy there myself. This thread's bringin back all sorts of memories :-({|= It's hard to beat midwestern corn fed meat (wild or domestic), and how bout them Iowa chops. However, I'd rather just go back once a year (in the fall) and get a hog, quarter of beef, a nice 10pointer, and limit of pheasants. That usually keeps any ridiculous thoughts of moving back from coming up. Sorry, all you vegetarians are prob about ready to hurl.

It's on this return trip I also eat nothing but pork tenderloin sammiches... only state you can find 'em... 3 inches bigger than the toasted bun, loaded with enough condiments to stuff a pig.

PreviousNext