Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cool MidWest hikes/climbs?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby Hawbs » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:38 pm

I lived in Ankeny and kayaked the Des Moines River a lot. I would kayak from the Johnston Bridge up toward the Saylorville Dam

Hey Flatlander, I've paddled around in those muddy waters before. I used to paddle my old man around in a two person kayak in that same area.

That's also close to where I first started "Mountain" Biking. There is a bunch of dirt paths and jumps and what not along the river there that is good biking, but after moving to Colorado I realized the "mountain" part was a joke.

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:04 pm

TK wrote:Well, aren't we all just plain hating on the Hawkeye State?!

If we do move back, there will be two less passenger cars on 70! Maybe you should encourage people to go other places, just to clear up the traffic problem.

Trust me, though, I love it here, and it's a terribly hard decision. That's why I thought I'd bring it up and give you all a chance to try and talk me out of it...

When we moved out here from the midwest, my wife and I used to play the hypothetical "how much would it take to move back game". We stopped playing once we reached $1 million a year salary and still wouldn't move back. There's some things you just can't put a price on...

Postby TK » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:48 pm

The first time I moved from CO to IA it was because some people in IA offered me a $45,000 bribe to drop out of high school and move out there. No kidding! I second guessed myself a lot but it turned out to be one of the smartest things I ever did.

Long story short, I'm back in CO with an MA from CU-Boulder, finishing a one-year doctoral level training program, living with a gorgeous lady from IA, and facing an even more impressive bribe to go back to the flatlands.

But then there's those gorgeous high alpine peaks outside my bedroom window telling my I shouldn't up and leave them again...

And there's all these strangers on 14ers.com giving me good reasons not to go.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby TK » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:13 am

Just to set the record straight, I'm not advising people to leave high school early just because I did. Be cool, stay in school, or something like that.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby tonyw » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:22 am

Iowa - WTF dude???

Postby mtnmaniac » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:50 am

I'll give one good reason not to move back- 75% HUMIDITY is considered low in the summer. The rolling green fields may look nice from the A/C'd interior of a car, but get out and you'll have a totally different opinion. Yuck!

If that's not enough how about: 98% humidity with +100 degree heat, hords of mosquitoes, other itchy insects, nowhere to ski despite subzero temps and blizzards in the winter, no mountains to climb, people everywhere, minimal public land, cold drizzly rainy days especially in spring and fall, the list goes on....

The only time of year I even mind going back for just a visit is fall. The humidity is lower, the bugs are gone, the colors are nice, and the hunting is unbeatable- you can't beat corn-fed game, big or small, and you don't have to draw for a freakin tag!

Postby mtnmaniac » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:40 pm

AAh, Ledges, and the good 'ol town of Boone, IA. Ledges is actually a unusual geological phenominon(sp?) for the area. I can't remember all the details even though I graduated from IA State geology department in Ames. I think I erased both short and long-term memory during my stint there.

Postby birdsall » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:52 pm

I've been back 3 times in 6 months and I couldn't wait to get back out west.

there is nothing better than canoeing the upper iowa though.

Postby mtnmaniac » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:56 pm

After all the river comments I have to admit instant access to canoeing, tubing (the beer-drinking float trip kind), and boating is one thing I miss. There's no shortage of water, that's foooh shooooh.
Last edited by mtnmaniac on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iowa Climbing

Postby Flat Lander » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:57 pm

Wow, finally a topic i can be an expert on. I think the best climbing in Iowa is in Montecello, Iowa at place called Pictured Rocks State Park. The climbs range from 5.8 to 5.12b. There is top roping and sport climbing. Many times when we go there we meet people who have driven 5+ hours from Chicago to climb there.

check out this website: http://www.iowaclimbing.com/outdoor.php

if you are interseted in mountain biking, there are great trails at Sugger Bottom recreation area. check out this website: http://www.icorrmtb.org/

Iowa has plenty of fun stuff to do. although Colorado is great to visit, i would never trade living in Iowa for living in Colorado.

Re: Iowa Climbing

Postby Kruck » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:02 pm

Flat Lander wrote:ted in mountain biking, there are great trails at Sugger Bottom recreation area. check out this website: http://www.icorrmtb.org/

Just don't ride in December and January. Sugarbottom is prime shotgun hunting ground. There's a disc golf course out there, too, and many times playing in the winter I'd see hunters about. Even ran into a pile of guts on a tee pad on No. 14. Nice place to field dress, I guess. :oops:

Can't wait to move back!

Postby stuckiniowa » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:05 pm

I am living in Iowa City right now....not by choice and only tempararly. If you do move out here try sugerbottom for mountain biking. It is located just north of Iowa City. Problem is, the trails close if they are muddy, which is a lot.

Iowa is ok, it just makes me appreciate the mountians of Colorado that much more.

PreviousNext