Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cool MidWest hikes/climbs?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby JayB » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:45 am

In western Iowa, the Loess Hills make for some good ups and downs. There are some good state parks that has some miles you can rack up. Eastern Nebraska will see the same things on the west side of the Missouri River.

I've never been hiking up in Northeast Iowa (usually head west to Colorado if I need to drive), but hear the hills can be some fun.

You can also go south to the Ozark Mtns in Missouri and Arkansas.

Just depends in what part of the state you find yourself in.

Postby TK » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

It's encouraging to hear that the places everyone knows about are all places I've already been. Lots of variety out there, huh? Maybe I'll buy a kayak and start paddlin' the rivers. :P

I'll probably end up somewhere around Des Moines, but it won't be for a few months.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

Postby tshesky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:09 pm

Iguru wrote:It would be a bit of a drive, and would be a long weekend kind of thing, but the Superior Hiking Trail along the north shore of Lake Superior starting in Two Harbors, MN

Good idea!

I've got another one near the shore of Lake Superior... Well, actually several. This on the south shore, however. The Porcupine Mountains near Ontonagon, MI (the Upper Peninsula of Michigan) are great for hiking. Also the Keweenaw Peninsula (near the town of Houghton) and the Huron Mountains (near Marquette).

Also a bit of a drive for you, but a great long-weekend get-away if/when you have time.

And I can understand the move... Yeah, CO is probably the best state in the Union in a lot of categories, but it sux to be struggling financially. I'm currently working two jobs to make ends meet and am also thinking an eventual move outside of the state may be essential to prevent work-induced burn-out. Good luck!
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Postby BlueMaroo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:17 pm

I'll agree with the upper peninsula of Michigan, cool up there - I grew up in MI, but that's a ways from Iowa.....

in all seriousness....
I moved away from CO and the mountains in 2003 to Indiana for money/job....it took me 3 years to arrange a transfer back after realized what doofus I was to leave. I DON'T RECOMMEND it.
One foot in front of the other......

Postby mtnmaniac » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:51 pm

Funny, I couldn't wait to get out of IA, and now people in CO are writing threads about leaving CO.

Anything in the Great Lakes region is 'superior'. Minnesooohta actually has a lot of topoooohgraphy due to some spectacular geologic events. Topography includes granite, not just weathered carbonates, so climbing is possible.

Boundary waters is more canoeing than hiking, but is one of the wildest places left in the lower 48. If you like fishing, I heard a fishtale that the crappie are as big as a paddle :-#

Anything along the Mississippi river makes for sic spelunking, and excellent cliffside river hiking.

I highly recommend a trip in the fall. The bugs are gone, the humidity is lower, and the colors are crazy.

Postby Flatland Biker » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:27 pm

Tk...Excellent idea about getting a kayak. I lived in Ankeny and kayaked the Des Moines River a lot. I would kayak from the Johnston Bridge up toward the Saylorville Dam and then paddle down stream to Birdland Park in Des Moines.

The bike path system there is good too! Have you climbed any in Ledges State Park? Keep in touch! Hope you don't have to move there, but if you do keep in touch with us all!
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"

Postby Alex » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:11 pm

Skip Perkins wrote:Where in Iowa? It makes a difference... Western Iowa has pretty quick access to Devils Lake in Wisconsin. over a thousand routes and easy access.
Do you mean Eastern Iowa? :?

I agree, Devils Lake is a great place!
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!

Postby Hawbs » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:16 pm

I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world.

I moved from Durango to Loveland for family/money/etc. But any further east is out of the question.

Postby Skip Perkins » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:59 pm

Alex
I did mean eastern Iowa. Sorry. I guess I still get drawn towards Colorado for my climbing.
The North Shore above Duluth has some good routes also.

Postby AlaskaMan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:07 pm

I love the Lost Coast Trail in California. Awesome view of the Pacific the whole way, it leads down to the beach, but you can only get on the beach at low tide. I know it's not in the Midwest but it was worth mention.
Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is Silver.

Postby Flatland Biker » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:13 pm

O.K....I changed my mind. I originally said I wouldn't move back to Iowa for twice the money I am making. I agree with most everyone else...you couldn't pay me enough to live there again. It just plain SUCKS!
"Heaven is only a heartbeat away"

Postby TK » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:34 pm

Well, aren't we all just plain hating on the Hawkeye State?!

If we do move back, there will be two less passenger cars on 70! Maybe you should encourage people to go other places, just to clear up the traffic problem.

Trust me, though, I love it here, and it's a terribly hard decision. That's why I thought I'd bring it up and give you all a chance to try and talk me out of it...
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells

PreviousNext