Wind Rivers

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Yoric
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Wind Rivers

Post by Yoric »

This place looks stunning. I'm getting away for five days (including travel time) in a few weeks and I think Wind Rivers will be my destination. I'm looking for anyone with info on the area because the information available online for this vast area is just a bit overwhelming. I've found tons of five to eight day backpacking trips, but I'm looking for something along the lines of two days or 20 or so miles. Maybe a good semi-remote base camp area with access to trails and some class 2/3 scrambles. I will be going solo.

If anyone reading this has actually been to the Wind Rivers and can offer up some advice I'd really like to hear it.

Thanks in advance!
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Wind Rivers

Post by mtn_nut »

Yoric wrote:This place looks stunning. I'm getting away for five days (including travel time) in a few weeks and I think Wind Rivers will be my destination. I'm looking for anyone with info on the area because the information available online for this vast area is just a bit overwhelming. I've found tons of five to eight day backpacking trips, but I'm looking for something along the lines of two days or 20 or so miles. Maybe a good semi-remote base camp area with access to trails and some class 2/3 scrambles. I will be going solo.

If anyone reading this has actually been to the Wind Rivers and can offer up some advice I'd really like to hear it.

Thanks in advance!

Most of my trips through there are in the 60 mile range to really get in and out of the heart of the winds. There are very few roads, so you can't really 4wheel your way in like you can in a lot of colorado.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I did a roughly 40 mile backpacking loop there a few years ago. We started at the Big Sandy TH and hiked into the Cirque of the Towers and then over Washakie Pass and back to Big Sandy. We were supposed to do 5 days but did it in 4 instead because the mosquitoes were so bad. Mitchell Peak is supposed to be a decent scramble from Jackass Pass or I think Wind River Peak is a decent scramble too (someone might correct me on that, I can't recall the difficulty for sure).

Regardless there's plenty of terrain and camping around Big Sandy Lake, the cirque, Deep Lake, Black Joe Lake, and that whole area to keep you busy for a trip. The hike to Big Sandy Lake is a virtually flat 5 miles and goes fast. The other idea would be to hike north towards Pyramid Lake but I'm not sure what peak options if any you might have from there.
bohlsen
14ers: 26 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohlsen »

I just got back from a 5 day trip there last week, I absolutely loved it. I did the same loop as Jon Frohlich, and I would definitely recommend the Cirque of the Towers area, the mountains there are unbelievable. We had hoped to do some kind of class 3 scramble in the area but the weather was pretty dicey every day. It was still incredibly enjoyable to just hike through such beautiful terrain though so don't think that you need to climb anything for the trip to be a success.

I recommend getting a copy of "Climbing and Hiking in the Wind River Mountains" by Joe Kelsey, its an incredibly thorough account of all the routes in the winds from class 1 through 5. I don't have mine in front of me right now but I'm pretty sure you could do a number of class 3 scrambles from the Donald Lake area (about 5 flat miles from Big Sandy TH) up to the backside of the Cirque (Pylon Peak, Warrior Peak, maybe some others?) which I gotta think would make for a pretty epic summit view. If you're limited on time though, I might suggest just heading up to Lonesome Lake in the Cirque and exploring around there. Even if you don't summit anything, you'll be blown away by the views.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions, I can take a look at my book when I get home from work.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
waltoncito
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by waltoncito »

I'll 2nd the Cirque suggestion...what an amazing place. Great fly-fishing, excellent scrambling, and good technical routes too if you're up for that.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I've found tons of five to eight day backpacking trips, but I'm looking for something along the lines of two days or 20 or so miles.
I know the Winds fairly well, but two days isn't much time for the Winds. As has been mentioned, it usually takes at least one day just to get to the good stuff.

If you are short on time and don't want to walk more than 20 miles round trip, maybe try Green River Lakes to Beaver Meadows or try the Deep Lake area.

By Wind River standards, the Cirque of the Towers is a also "short" walk, but it will still take you all day to get there and as is with Deep Lake the scenery isn't really spectacular (by Wind River standards) until you get above Big Sandy Lake.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Yoric
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yoric »

Looking over a few trip reports from the Cirque it makes me really want to give it a shot. I can leave Denver around 1 pm on a Monday and I can extend my trip to return Saturday. That gives me Tuesday through Friday to complete it which seems like enough time. Would you guys agree?

I just ordered a copy of Hiking Wyoming's Wind River Range (Regional Hiking Series). Depending on how I like it I'll also take the suggestion to pick up the hiking / climbing version front he same publisher.
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MatB »

I originally had a 3 day trip into the Winds planned a few summers ago (a few things fell through and I didn't have that time. Regardless, you can make it into the Cirque on day one and then there is a climbers descent off of Warbonnet Peak that goes at class 3 that could fit your description. Only thing is, it is unnecessary to go over Jackass Pass (which leads you to Lonesome Lake, sitting within the Cirque) if you just want to do Warbonnet Peak. You can do it in a day, long mileage, but not a ton of vert. Or you could camp at Big Sandy Lake on day 1, climb Warbonnet and head over Jackass Pass on day 2, give Lizard Head a go on day 3. Tons of options and I hope you enjoy your trip. I haven't visited many ranges but my favorite is the Winds.

From what I read (never got to attempt), easiest route on Lizard Head Pk goes at class 4 and I imagine would provide incredible views. It is the tallest peak in the Cirque and sits east (across) from all the pretty peaks in the Cirque.

Good luck
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

Yoric...a quick heads up: the mosquitoes in the Wind Rivers are world class. Other than northern Canada, this is the only place I have ever had to wear a head net.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

As mentioned, the Cirque is nice and there are some nice scrambles there. I'd recommend Warbonnet or Mitchell Peak. Lizard Head was mentioned and is possible, but it's a choss pile and not as aesthetic as the other peaks surrounding the Cirque. The 4th class route is also harder than any of the 4th class standard routes on the Colorado 14ers.

If you have time, consider heading south from Big Sandy Lake to Deep Lake and surrounding area. The scenery is really nice and it's not as crowded as the Cirque (though still popular by Wind River standards). East Temple is a great scramble and a magnificent peak. Haystack is really fun and has a scramble route up.
Yoric...a quick heads up: the mosquitoes in the Wind Rivers are world class.
Agreed, but they should be either completely gone or almost completely gone in a few weeks. I've been there several times in early September (including last year) and they have always been gone other than a very few-we saw one in on our three day trip over Labor Day weekend last year, the only mosquito I have seen in the Winds in September. Late June through early August they are terrible.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Cirque of the Towers is really scenic but as one of the most popular areas in the Winds you will have lots of company! Just south of the COT is Deep Creek Lake, Haystack mountain and the Temple peaks which you can make a loop out of by including the somewhat off trail areas towards Temple Mountain and the area is as scenic as COT (at least my wife and I think so), you can also see into the COT from Deep Creek Lake. There are quite a few 3rd and 4th class scrambles in the area, get the Joe Kelsey guide for more info. I think the loop is around 20-26 miles or so, we did it as a day hike but there are plenty of fantastic camp sites in the area. Keep in mind that the loop includes a bit of off trail hiking so have a map and the skills to be able to navigate cross country, there are quite of few game and user trails but you still need to navigate those. Here is a link to a Flickr set that includes pics from this loop, I think the pics for this loop start around the 'Sandy Lake' pic. https://www.flickr.com/photos/thecranky ... 373603346/

If you decide to check out Cirque of the Towers you can make a loop of it by hiking into COT via Jackass Pass, crossing the COT and taking Texas Pass to Billy and Barren Lakes then making you way back to Dads Lake and out to Big Sandy Opening TH. Texas Pass is an unmaintained path so again you will have to use off trail navigation skills although the way is fairly well used by off trail hikers. Check the distance but fuzzy recall I think its around 30-35 miles?

Also keep in mind that it is a haul on dirt roads to get to Big Sandy Opening and there are no stores back there. If you can get a copy of Finis Mitchell's guide for a decent price take it with, will make some fun reading and give some historical info to the area.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
Yoric
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yoric »

Crestoner wrote:Yoric...a quick heads up: the mosquitoes in the Wind Rivers are world class. Other than northern Canada, this is the only place I have ever had to wear a head net.
I will be there September 8th through 13th so I hope they'll be gone by that time. I'm from south Florida and despise mosquitoes!

What kind of traffic can I expect on the cirque at this time of year? I'd really rather not be in an overly crowded area. I don't mind running into a few people (that can always be kind of fun), but if it gets so busy that people end up just ignoring each other when passing by then it's too crowded.