Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best airport for North Palisade?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Best airport for North Palisade?

Postby denalibound » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:59 am

I am working on the possibility of a trip next summer to North Palisade, in Kings Canyon National Park, California. I would be heading out from the town of Big Pine, California.

It seems that most airports are a 5 to 6 hour drive from there. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which airport is the best to fly into for climbing in the southern Sierras?

Thanks.

Postby mtgirl » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:30 am

Denalibound:

I don't have any suggestions for an airport......but just wondering if you've read the book, The Last Season, about a backcountry ranger who disappeared in the Sierra Nevadas (Kings Canyon, actually...), after 25 years with the Park Service. It would be an interesting read prior to your summer trip out there. I recently read it, and would recommend it to anyone with a love of the outdoors.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby RenoBob » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:50 am

DB:
Vegas may be your best bet because you can probably get a direct there from whatever airport you're flying out of.
Flying into LAX, Riverside, SanBerdoo, Bakersfield, Burbank will require a lot of patience/time (traffic out and back) and/or multiple flight connections.
From Vegas you can land, pick up luggage, rental car and be cruisin' at 75mph within 45 mins. It's 250 miles Vegas to Big Pine, good highway, fairly scenic, non-exsistent traffic enforcement once you're 50+ miles out of Vegas.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

Postby firsttracks » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:37 pm

RenoBob should have suggested.... Reno! It's only about a 3.5 hour drive (if I remember right!) from Reno to North Pal, straight down 395. Great trip. I'll try to post pics from my trip there last May. (Got snowed out at high camp, but had a blast.)

Postby MtHurd » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:05 am

I flown into Vegas twice for climbs in the Sierras and that's what I would do if I were to do it again. I hope to do a Thunderbolt to North Palisade traverse sometime in the next few years.

Postby Skip Perkins » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:46 am

I'll have to second Mtgirl's read of "The Last Season." It's a great book. I'm only half way through but I want to hike and climb in that area.

Postby mtnrnnr » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:14 pm

Mtngirl and Skip,

Could you tell me the author of that book? It sounds really interesting. I used to be a Park Ranger before I got a "real" job.

Thanks

Postby mtgirl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:19 pm

mtnrnnr wrote:Mtngirl and Skip,

Could you tell me the author of that book? It sounds really interesting. I used to be a Park Ranger before I got a "real" job.

Thanks

The author is Eric Blehm. Here's a link to purchase the book on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Season-Eric- ... F8&s=books
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby mtnrnnr » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:59 pm

Mtngirl,

Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out.

Postby El Burro » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:09 am

The Last Season is a very fascinating read. Eric Blehm was quite meticulous in his research. Not to give away the ending, but I found Randy Morgenson to be a very tragic and complex figure. Many have compared this book to Krakauer's Into The Wild, but I found Randy Morgenson infinitely more complicated than Christopher McCandless. And as a bonus, this book gives an extremely vivid written word account of the beautiful ruggedness of the Kings Canyon NP and Sequoia NP backcountry. The Last Season is great on so many levels.

Postby thebeave7 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:49 pm

Well it's kind of a crap shoot; Reno, Las Vegas, and Ontario(CA) are your best options. Vegas would probably be the cheapest, but is the furthest of the 3. Getting from Ontario to the Sierras can be a chore if you hit traffic, and the first part of the drive through the high desert is kind of boring, last hour is pretty though. From Reno it'd prob be more expensive, drive is about the same as Ontario, but the scenery is far superior to any of the other drives. 395 down the Eastern Sierras is beautiful the entire way. Any way you go have a fun trip out there, I miss the Sierras. :(
Eric

Postby RHansen » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:55 pm

Denalibound,
Fly out of Denver on United directly to Inyokern Airport in Ridgecrest which is approximately 120 miles south of Big Pine.

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#mvt=m&q ... 546&mag=10

Here is some more info:

http://www.skywest.com/routemaps/rm_img ... te_Map.pdf

http://www.inyokernairport.com/

This will save you approximately 1.5 to 2 hours drive time.
I, too, miss my beloved Sierras!!!

Hope this helps.

RHansen

Next