Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Kessler's latest adventure!

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Kessler's latest adventure!

Postby Scott P » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:54 pm

Here is Kessler's latest adventure. Since several 14ers.com members have now met Kessler, I thought you guys might enjoy sharing in his latest adventure. :D

This is the Trip Report Album of the New Hance-Grandview Loop in the Grand Canyon November 23-November 26.

The New Hance Trail is highly scenic, but is considered one of the three most difficult trails in the Grand Canyon and the New Hance-Grandview Loop is considered to be the most difficult loop along the Tonto Trail.

Kessler and I decided that the New Hance-Grandview Loop would make a nice Thanksgiving outing. Since Kessler is an experienced hiker and very confident in rock scrambling and since the trail is easy to get a permit for since it isn’t crowded, it seemed like a good choice. Kessler was ready and experienced enough for something more challenging than the standard routes on most of the Colorado 14ers and was very excited for the trip. He has been hiking up to 13 or more miles a day on occasion, but we knew we couldn’t make those distances on these routes. Although we carried ropes and a child harness, we found that these were not needed.

It was a great trip and a spectacular route! :D

See the photos and report below:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/247350/ ... port-.html

PS, the purpose of this tip report album is to share my experience I had with my son and especially the photographs hopefully for your enjoyment. The purpose of this trip report album is not meant to encourage anyone to attempt the New Hance with children, nor is it meant to be a debate on what children can climb and at what age. Please do not turn the thread into a debate. :wink:

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:07 pm

Nice shots! I was also down there this weekend doing some running... what perfect weather! Looks like you guys had a great trip.

Postby Skip Perkins » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:05 pm

Scott, I'm not trying to cause trouble BUT ...... I'm willing to bet his pack is bigger than yours so let's see a picture of you and your pack so we know who was the sherpa on this trip. :roll: Looks like a great trip.

Postby rlw49 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:10 pm

Good Grief, what are you feeding the boy? He's not a little kid anymore.
Congratulations to Kessler on what looks like a very strenuous hike. When does he get the keys to the truck?e

Postby Scott P » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:16 pm

I'm willing to bet his pack is bigger than yours so let's see a picture of you and your pack so we know who was the sherpa on this trip.

Hilarious! :D My pack was a little bigger this time, but I'm sure that will change in a few years.

Good Grief, what are you feeding the boy?

His mother feeds him and cooks some yummy stuff. When on hikes we cheat and use Mountainhouse. :wink:

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:28 am

Great pics Scott! Glad you had a good time Grand Canyon, looks like it was a perfect weekend!

Postby mtgirl » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:40 am

The more I read about Kessler's adventures, the more he impresses me. I think you'll have yourself a good hiking partner for many years to come, Scott. Your relationship with your son is something I'm sure many Dads out there are envious of.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby sanjuanmtneer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:33 pm

Scott,
Are you interested in adopting?
I'd make a great older brother for Kessler!
And there's ONLY about a 45 year age difference! :lol:
Seriously, looks like a great trip!
You're both lucky guys!
And my mind is made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Before my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And the time is here.
(With deference to John Dillon)

Postby mainpeak » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:39 pm

mtgirl wrote: I'm sure many Dads out there are envious of.

I know I am. My daughter loved going in the backpack when she was two, and it helped me train for my climbing trip this past summer. Now that she's three I'm trying to get her to use her feet but she just demands to be picked up after going up hill after 10 minutes. I'm hoping my son is a little more ambitous, he's only 1 1/2 right now, but doesn't to be able to get very far going up on an incline either. I'm worried that they may just get turned off from it if I push them (?).

Oh well, not trying to hijack the the thread. Great trip report , Scott , thanks for posting.

PS -if you *did* want to share any advice on how to get my kids pumped to hike, I'm all ears! ( PM if you want)

Postby Aspen Summit » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:49 pm

Oh My!! Kessler have grown since I last saw him at the Fall Gathering! They sure grow up quick, Scott!

I just returned from Spain, but I was in N. Africa for an assignment with the Ambassador before a much needed rest in Barcelona. Good time though...very good time!

Hope to see you again in CO!

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:20 am

Scott:

We are DINK's, so can only take vicarious pleasure in other folks children. Your child knocks us out! Way to go Kessler.

dkc
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Scott P » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks everyone!

PS -if you *did* want to share any advice on how to get my kids pumped to hike, I'm all ears! ( PM if you want)

Although some may disagree, I think that most children can do some challenging hikes, but don't have the motivation to.

Luckily I've never had that problem with Kessler and only breifly with Shaylee.

I think it helped doing it since they were born. It may be a bit hard to start at three, but keep at it, as long as they are having fun and not being pushed.

Try taking him/her to some place that is very enjoyable for children. I have never met a child whom didn't like to hike in Goblin Valley. No child I know of can resist it:

http://www.summitpost.org/canyon/193018 ... alley.html

Arches national park is great too. I have found that a bit of candy along the way helps too. :wink:

I have actually found that hikes with some challenges (for children) such as a few rocks to climb over sometiems also keep the attention better than flat and easy ones. Strange but true.

Next