Medicine Bow Peak in Wyoming

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ashley
Trip Reports (0)

Medicine Bow Peak in Wyoming

Post by Ashley »

Has anyone been up to Medicine Bow Peak (or surrounding areas in the Snowy Range) in the past month or so? My friend and I are looking at attempting it from either the Lewis Lake or Lake Marie trailhead this weekend, but I've heard it can hold snow into July. We don't want to do a snow climb, just a steady class 2. Thanks!
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Medicine Bow Peak in Wyoming

Post by screeman57 »

Climbed it about a week ago from the sugarloaf side--a TON of snow up there, from wherever you approach. Snowshoes, crampons, and ice axe were all a must. Unless you know the area quite well, be sure to have a topo map. Very easy to get lost back there with none of the trails or roads evident.

The one area that was generally clear of snow was from the trail junction on the lakes side to just below the summit ridge. Summit ridge is snow-covered and corniced (but there are good access points).

Photo is my van at the mirror lake TH.

PM me if you'd like more info. I have more photos.
Attachments
mirrorlakes.jpg
mirrorlakes.jpg (188.52 KiB) Viewed 3982 times
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

We don't want to do a snow climb, just a steady class 2.
You're way too early for this. Medicine Bow doesn't usually melt out until mid or late July. If fact, even in the campgrounds, there are often still snow drifts in August.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

Beautiful area and a fun peak to climb though
Ashley
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ashley »

Thank you, guys - exactly the information I was looking for. It looks like we'll save this one until late July/August, and target something in the Lost Creek or Sawatch.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I drove across the Snowy Range on an Encampment River kayak outing a few years back in early August in a lesser snow year than this one and was astounded at the amount of snow still on the ground. Some kind of refrigerator affect up there.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
tyler32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tyler32 »

Does anyone have any new information or pictures of the snow conditions in the Medicine Bow Peak area? I am hoping to hike it soon, but would like to wait until most of the deep snowfields have melted out. Thanks!
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

A friend was up there a few weeks ago...are these FB pics public/accessible for you?

He mentioned missing a turn because of snow but otherwise didn't mention slogging on the way out...I would think doing the loop clockwise would put you across the flat/wind-swept (and hopefully wildflower-filled) parts to the summit, and then judge if the steeper switchbacks had too much snow. Have fun/good luck!
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

I was up there last weekend. All the couloirs still holding snow, most with significant cornices up high. Everything is melted lower down, and the standard trail from Lake Marie was snow-free, at least until it disappeared to the upper reaches. I did not hike it this time, but I have hiked it with significantly more snow than what I saw, and that was not particularly problematic. I would guess it is mostly melted out on the high trail to the summit. I'll see about uploading a picture tonight, but you should be fine.
Attachments
Medicine Bow
Medicine Bow
Medicine_Bow.jpg (204.65 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
tyler32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tyler32 »

Thanks for the responses, your reports were spot on. I hiked Medicine Bow Peak on 7/27/14 and can report that both the high and low trail from Lake Marie are completely free of snow. The wildflowers were also in bloom!

Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

that's crazy how much the snow has melted. I was there July 4th weekend and the road to the Mirror Lake picnic area was blocked with 6' of snow right off the highway
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Hiked the entire lakes-summit-ridge loop from Mirror Lake today. The only snow was on the summit ridge (nicely covering the talus). Amazing that, just two weeks ago, I crossed many snowfields going through the lakes. Several of the couloirs are still in.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.