Yosemite Next Week

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Yosemite Next Week

Post by jchapell »

After some great input from people here and elsewhere, my 3mos pregnant wife and I will be heading off for our “babymoon”- 3 days in Oregon (including attempting Mt. Hood), and 5 days in Yosemite.

We have a tentative plant for our time in Yosemite (which is loosely Valley-based, with a 3-day/2night backpacking section), but if anyone has good ideas, I welcome any input/advice. Almost any trailhead has wilderness permits available this early, so we have some options. It’s an odd year – obviously below average snowfall, so Glacier Point and Tioga roads are open, but there have been a few late storms keeping the high country in snow.

I’d love to hear if anyone has some Yosemite words of wisdom, but also wanted to thank you all for several rounds of non-Colorado advice!
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Yosemite Next Week

Post by nyker »

You'll love it!

Hikes/climbs:

1. Assuming you won't get vertigo and your wife is able to climb, you must climb Half Dome via Happy isles trailhead! You'll need a permit now, but still worth it. Just check to make sure "cables are up" meaning the poles are up, since pulling yourself up without them will be more difficult. People say its too crowded and overrated, but I love it. Just start before 6-630AM and you won't have too many people going up to deal with. Trip: 16 miles, +4800ft gain roughly

2. Clouds Rest is another great option you could do by itself, or add on from Half Dome for a really long day.

3. Mt Dana (13er) makes a nice snow climb this time of year in the high country.

Misc:

Lots of bears in Yosemite - I've seen 2-6 bears on every trip. if camping, be prepared.

Sentinel Dome is a nice short easy walk with a great view, recommended.

Make sure you have extra memory cards for your camera and spare batteries, you'll be using it a lot

Glacier Point, if the road is open, is a must stop to enjoy the view.

Visit the Giant Sequoias down south, definitely worth the trip.

Hang out in the valley, have a picnic, etc. very relaxing there.

Waterfalls peak in May, so make sure you visit all you can!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Yosemite Next Week

Post by peter303 »

Tioga Pass opened last week. Like Trail Ridge it usually doesnt open until the end of the month, but there has been a drought. However the camgrounds and small stores in Tioga often dont open until July 1. That could be more of a budget issue than the snow.

Lambert Dome is a quickie warmup hike off of Tioga.

The meadow trails off Tioga may be slushy/swampy this early in the season.

13K Mt Dana is close to the road and more challenging.

When I lived in California we'd backpack the Hetch-Hetchy area before Memorial Day.
That has exposed granite, interesting river and lake. Because it is lower altitude than Tioga
it would be already melted out by May. I recall there was a recent fire there and may not be reopened yet.