Arizona

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Arizona

Post by steelfrog »

Yo. I am heading to Phoenix for a conference in a week or so. Should have partial days and at least one full day to play around. I was thinking of the full day in Sedona? or possibly the Superstitions. I've been to Grand Canyon a bunch and done Humphreys.

So, questions: Would the full day be better spent in Superstitions doing Flatiron or Superstition Peak? or going to Sedona and doing something like Wilson Mountain or Cockscomb and Cathedral, or what?

Also, in Phoenix, suggestions for evening hikes--maybe Camelback or something?

I know nothing but what I've found on SP and such so any suggestions would be helpful.

Many thanks!
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Arizona

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Recommend the trails in Cave Creek State Park in the NE Valley - north of 32nd Street and Carefree Highway. Some good trails in a rocky, volcanic desert terrain. Good views of the Valley from there. Also nearby Black Mountain from the town of Cave Creek - highest point in the immediate area, and higher than either Piestewa or Camelback. Watch for snakes & have a good time.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Sedona is a great option. Cathedral Rock is a quick but fun ascent. Devil's Bridge is also a fast and interesting hike. Finish up with a soak at Oak Creek State Park. There are a ton of other amazing options in the area
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks. I will look into those

More specifically, in Sedona what are best places for sunrise and sunset shots?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

So, questions: Would the full day be better spent in Superstitions doing Flatiron or Superstition Peak? or going to Sedona and doing something like Wilson Mountain or Cockscomb and Cathedral, or what?
Check the weather forecast and then make the decision. The Superstitions can already start to get hot this time of year.

Personally, I think the best part of Sedona is the canyons. I'd recommend West Fork Oak Creek, but the water might be chilly.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

Agree, watch the weather. You get to pick your temperature if you're willing to drive a bit north. Or Flatiron with an early start would be a good choice. Snakes are out.
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

In Sedona, Airport Vortex is a crowded but beautiful spot to watch sunset (from up on the rocks, not the giant concrete pad). But we really enjoed just picking a spot in the dessert (plenty of spots, we preferred ones en route to Boynton Canyon).
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
robby40
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robby40 »

if you mountain bike, South Mountain Phoenix: up National Trail, then down Corona de Loma to Desert Classic is certainly one of the most fun and most diverse loops I have ever ridden.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Sedona is a nice place, you can find tons of short-medium hikes to do with some nice scrambling. I was here on this day in 2012 (see link) unknowingly. Was a bit crazy. 1000's of people were amassed to watch.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/20407 ... ec-21-2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Looks like I'm going to try and get there well before sunrise one day, and stay for sunset; I don't know orientation of things. Is the Little Park Heights Saddle looking west or east toward Bell Rock and Courthouse Mesa?

Any other suggestions for best sunrise and sunset spots to go?

Many thanks.