Looking for Trip Reports on Havasupai Falls, Havasu Canyon

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Looking for Trip Reports on Havasupai Falls, Havasu Canyon

Post by wildlobo71 »

I figured I would post this here for any information - I've got the opportunity (along with ketel1), permit in hand, to hike the Havasupai Falls Trail in the Grand Canyon. The window of opportunity is Easter Weekend (4/17-20). Does anyone have anything more than what Trip Advisor posts for trail reports, trips, etc???

Information would be appreciated if you have or know of any!
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Looking for Trip Reports on Havasupai Falls, Havasu Cany

Post by climbnowworklater »

I guided that hike from 2001 to 2011. I went twice a year in April and October. The floods have done lasting damage but still a great trip. Never used "trip advisor" so I have no idea what they say. Whatever questions you have, I will be able to answer. My favorite aspects of the trip are: The old relics along the trail, the "bus stop", finding the old mines to explore (5+), going into Box Canyon, taking a shower near "Mooneys", and so much more. Great time of year to go as well.

I will PM you my number if you want to call me.
Take care,
Jon
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Not sure exactly what information you're looking for, Bill, but it is a fabulous place to visit. Has been quite awhile since I was down there however so I'll let others address things more current.

The only thing I might question is the timing. I was under the impression by mid-April it might be getting pretty warm. I was there the 3rd week of March and it was perfect weather with all the cacti and other shrubs in full or slightly passed bloom. While it was cold and there was snow at the top of the rim where the trail began, it was mid-high 80s at Havasu the entire time we were there.

But Havasu and Mooney Falls are truly spectacular, as well as the hike down to the River from the campgrounds. Have a wonderful time! :-D
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

I'm sure CLIMBNOWWORKLATER will be able to answer any and all questions that you might have. Supai is a great place to visit. The Falls are a Shangri-La within the Grand Canyon. I have been there a few times over the years and would recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Havasup ... 0897326547 I actually picked it up at the Visitors Center in Grand Canyon Village, but you can obviously order it on Amazon. I would recommend a Ratsack http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsa ... containers if you are camping as opposed to staying in the Lodge. That is because of the Ringtails http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-tailed_cat that will go after any food in the campground at night. Have fun!
mr14ner
14ers: 24 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mr14ner »

Here are 258 trip logs about the hike:

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;