Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Good class 2 climbs in New Mexico?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Good class 2 climbs in New Mexico?

Postby ethanc41 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:58 am

Hello. Does anyone know any nice class 2 climbs in New Mexico? We would be climbing in December, near Santa Fe.

Re: Good class 2 climbs in New Mexico?

Postby desertdog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:22 pm

I've done many of the peaks in northern NM. During winter TH access and long approaches can be an issue for a lot of our class 2 mountains.

Santa Fe Baldy is one that comes to mind as a good winter climb. It's class 1 but a big day in the winter.

Lake Peak is another option close to SF and is not as long of a day as Baldy.

Cabezon is a class 2 west of ABQ and is accessible. It's an hour and a half from SF. It's more desert topography, but a fun climb.

Wheeler, NM's high point, has high avy danger on the standard route, so I would take that one off the list.

Feel free to email me is you have questions about specific mountains.

Postby ethanc41 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:28 pm

desertdog wrote:I've done many of the peaks in northern NM. During winter TH access and long approaches can be an issue for a lot of our class 2 mountains.

Santa Fe Baldy is one that comes to mind as a good winter climb. It's class 1 but a big day in the winter.

Cabezon is a class 2 west of ABQ and is accessible. It's an hour and a half from SF. It's more desert topography, but a fun climb.

Wheeler, NM's high point, has high avy danger on the standard route, so I would take that one off the list.

Thanks! I had a lot of trouble finding any online, this was a big help :-D

Postby Kiefer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:17 pm

ethanc41 wrote:Thanks! I had a lot of trouble finding any online, this was a big help :-D

How hard did you ACTUALLY look? :-k

Wheeler Peak Wilderness
Philmont Scout Ranch (Private)
Alex Wood has a good representation of Northern New Mexico peaks.

THIS is a good book. Mostly hikes & walks. Nothing technical.
An average website but it does have great ideas that you can run with & do your own research on. ExploreNM

I've been in the Cimarron and Red River areas twice and they're great places to hike & explore. Sangres are awesome.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby WheelerDealer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:10 am

Just one more on the list if you're interested, Cerro Grande near Los Alamos plays off like a short day hike in the summer, but in deeper snow, it would be a neat experience. If you were doing more than one climb, that would certainly be a good tune up for bigger trips

Postby ethanc41 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:10 pm

desertdog wrote:I've done many of the peaks in northern NM. During winter TH access and long approaches can be an issue for a lot of our class 2 mountains.

By the way would you recommend crampons?

Postby desertdog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Lake and SF Baldy you will need snowshoes. There is a short section SF Baldy where micro spikes would help.