Palm Springs C2C hike

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Palm Springs C2C hike

Post by tlongpine »

painless4u2 wrote:[-X :yawn: Now, now you guys. Simmer down. Let's try to stay on subject here.

Remember Boney:

Longpiney is in Public Affairs

Masters of Spin, Inc.

You. Can't. Win.

](*,)
"When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff." - Cicero

In an effort to steer this conversation back to the topic (someone has to, right?)... I believe the discussion is "What trail(s) has/have the greatest rise and shortest run?"
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

I just can't understand how putting the words
San Jacinto and vertical relief together can cause such a s**t storm.
Google seems to have no such trouble.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... cal+relief" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy f***ing Trails.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Analize this
Attachments
standoff.jpg
standoff.jpg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

bonehead wrote:I just can't understand how putting the words
San Jacinto and vertical relief together can cause such a s**t storm.
Google seems to have no such trouble.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&sou ... cal+relief" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy f***ing Trails.
One could exhaust him/herself trying to keep up with your confusion.
43024293.jpg
43024293.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Once again:

I bow to thee
as you revel in
your own cleverness
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

bonehead wrote:Once again:

I bow to thee
as you revel in
your own cleverness
I think it's time to have a breakfast beer with the librarian and write this one off, Pat.

Analise that.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

dleebuddy wrote:When I read "C2C" I initially translated that to "Sea to Sea". At the risk of digressing.....Does anyone know of big vertical climbs that start at a sea (like the beach) and return there as well? I see the post about Badwater to Telescope (bonus points for below sea level!).

Hikes in Hawaii spring to mind; Alaska as well.

Thoughts?
Cone Peak in Big Sur is the highest coastal mountain in the contiguous 48. As the crow flies, it ascends from sea level to a summit height of 5,155' in just three miles. The sea-to-summit-to-sea trail is ~22 miles.

More info: http://www.summitpost.org/cone-peak/150519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JsinDeAZ
14ers: 37  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JsinDeAZ »

I've done the C2C and wanted to add the third C, but my buddy opted us for the tram (he paid for me). You have to get a ride back to your car if you do that. We met a good guy for San Diego who was kind enough to drive us back. Definitley do this hike when it's cooler and wear sunblock. There is little relief from the sun the first 12 miles (though you'll be in the dark for the first few, early start a must). And you're hiking straight up to boot. I remember we had some minor route finding issues. Seems like little trails crisscrossed all over that ridge.

And to the other threadsters, I'm taking ocean to the top of Mount St. Elias. I think some guys skiied from the summit to the sea in a movie of the same name.
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

highpilgrim wrote:have a breakfast beer with the librarian and write this one off
Thanks pilgrim.
Already done.
Edit.
Wow, what a slap in the face moment.
You definitely surprise me.
Thank You
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

JsinDeAZ wrote: And to the other threadsters, I'm taking ocean to the top of Mount St. Elias. I think some guys skiied from the summit to the sea in a movie of the same name.
There was a bit of scandal related to the Summit to Sea ski descent on Mt. St. Elias. Marketed by Red Bull as "the world's longest ski decent", it was actually executed in two separate stages on separate occasions, and not the first descent of the line.

But Red Bull wasn't going to let the facts stand in the way of an "epic" marketing campaign.

More of the saga here: http://www.wildsnow.com/893/mount-st-elias-ski-skiing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Hey Greg.
Thanks for sharing a name with me that I had not crossed before.
It would mean even more if you tell me you know someone so blessed.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

dleebuddy wrote:When I read "C2C" I initially translated that to "Sea to Sea". At the risk of digressing.....Does anyone know of big vertical climbs that start at a sea (like the beach) and return there as well? I see the post about Badwater to Telescope (bonus points for below sea level!).

Hikes in Hawaii spring to mind; Alaska as well.

Thoughts?
Mauna Kea, Big Island Hawaii. Sea to Sea would be a pretty long day and to shorten it, you'd likely be going *off trail a bit*... gross gain is ~14000ft, add more for net gain.