Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Weekend Suggestions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Winter Weekend Suggestions

Postby jchapell » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:30 am

My fantastic wife has suggested a winter hiking weekend for my 30th birthday (Dec. 12-15). Our base case would be to fly to Denver, but given the 2.5 days of hiking we will have and short time to acclimate to altitude from sea level in St. Louis, we are trying to think if there are any other options. We have hiked above 13k several times the day after arriving, but would hate to have this be that one time where it didn't work very well. IF we did go to CO, we would probably do one of the non-avy prone routes like Pikes or Quandary.

Any suggestions of lower elevation winter hikes/snowshoes that would be worthwhile? Given our short timeframe, I'm thinking <5 hours from an airport, accessible in a normal rental SUV, and where avalanche risk isn't a factor? Mid December flights are pretty cheap from STL, so CA, WA, NV, NM etc. could be options as well as CO. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Re: Winter Weekend Suggestions

Postby Dex » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:10 am

OK,
Here's the plan
12th - arrive - drive to Buena Vista, check into the Best Western or Super 8, go to Leadville 10K ft, see the mining museum, hydrate, dinner at the Asian plate in BV

13th Hartenstein Lake snowshoe - Dinner Currents in Salida

14th up early for Yale, then Mt. Princeton Hot springs, dinner Eddyline in BV

15th leave
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Winter Weekend Suggestions

Postby peter303 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:07 am

On the drive in on I-70, take Loveland Pass instead of the tunnel. 9the pass closes when it is snowing) Park at the taop and hike the southwest ridge. There is a 13er at the highest point of the ridge. You have the same above-treeline views as a 14er.
The wind using keeps the first part of hike snow-free enough to not require special equipment nor worry about avalanches. The same wind makes it feel very cold too.