Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Re: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

Postby JsinDeAZ » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:19 pm

I do R2R2R on Thanksgiving day. We all give thanks in our own way. This site is good for checking on where water is on and any other updates:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/trail-closures.htm
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron

Postby anthony156 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:22 pm

rlrjamy wrote: You still need a permit to camp eventhough its closed. If you wait until Dec. 1 that is when the yurt becomes available. A whooping $5 per night plus the permit. Sometimes there is duct tape on the lock. :) :shock:

One more thing, there are dirt roads (to avoid paying the $25 entrance fee) or if you get there early morning(can't remember time) no one mans the booth. Dirt roads also have some good camping if you need more details, I can plot a route for it.
Good luck its a great hike..

Driving around the Grand Canyon on dirt roads to avoid the feds sounds like bootlegging during good ol' prohibition!!! I've never heard of these yurts is there a site for them or is it a show up and get a place to sleep kind of thing?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Postby rlrjamy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:20 pm

anthony156 wrote:I've never heard of these yurts is there a site for them or is it a show up and get a place to sleep kind of thing?

You reserve the yurt(if its available) with your permit from the grand canyon backcountry office
Here is a pic of it http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=317607

Previous