Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Re: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

Postby anthony156 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:22 am

All these suggestions sound great. I tried calling the permit office and they have very few dates available, I would've thought in October/November that everyone would be at home. If we can't get a permit this is what I'm thinking.

Day 1 Down South Rim- Kaibab, steeper, no water so its better to go down and fast while we have water. Make a pitstop and check out Ribbon Falls, head up to North Rim, camp for the night.

Days 2 Head back, head up Bright Angel.

I'd love to stop at Phantom Ranch for the meals, but am amazed at how many different hoops we gotta jump through(meal tickets, backcountry permits) I gues CO spoiled me in getting to show up anywhere and just throw down a tent.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Postby LynnKH » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:38 am

anthony156 wrote:Day 1 Down South Rim- Kaibab, steeper, no water so its better to go down and fast while we have water. Make a pitstop and check out Ribbon Falls, head up to North Rim, camp for the night.

I'll throw my opinion into the mix. I think doing a long trip like this (Or any like it, for instance, 4 Pass Loop) in two days is the hardest way to go. The advantage of doing it in a single push is that you can go light. The advantage of making it a backpacking trip is that you don't do any long days. By splitting the difference and camping only one night, you would have a far, far heavier pack but will still be required to go a very long way each day. Last year friends and I did the full R^3 route in a leisurely pace in under 20 hours. Yeah, we were exhausted at the end, but personally, I would far prefer that than two long days with a full pack. Just my $.02.

Postby ezabielski » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:41 am

Wow Hoot, thanks for writing that.

LynnKH wrote:
anthony156 wrote:Day 1 Down South Rim- Kaibab, steeper, no water so its better to go down and fast while we have water. Make a pitstop and check out Ribbon Falls, head up to North Rim, camp for the night.

I'll throw my opinion into the mix. I think doing a long trip like this (Or any like it, for instance, 4 Pass Loop) in two days is the hardest way to go. The advantage of doing it in a single push is that you can go light. The advantage of making it a backpacking trip is that you don't do any long days. By splitting the difference and camping only one night, you would have a far, far heavier pack but will still be required to go a very long way each day. Last year friends and I did the full R^3 route in a leisurely pace in under 20 hours. Yeah, we were exhausted at the end, but personally, I would far prefer that than two long days with a full pack. Just my $.02.

Depends on how light you can backpack really.

Postby peter303 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:35 am

anthony156 wrote:All these suggestions sound great. I tried calling the permit office and they have very few dates available, I would've thought in October/November that everyone would be at home. If we can't get a permit this is what I'm thinking.

The place is so extradordinarily beautiful that nearly any trail or campground will a great experience. Lots of times I didnt get my first choices, but was generally satisfied.

The south rim to river and back feels comparable to Elbert daytrip in effort. The Grand Canyon is a little longer, but you dont have as thin air. No permits needed for a day hike. You can do another pair of trails like Tanner or Hermit on another day if want a repeat.

Postby Dex » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:29 pm

LynnKH wrote:

Here is one thing to consider about timing - the GC is different at different times of the day due to the angle of the sun and the rock formations. So you want to make sure you are paying attention during the golden hours - around sun up and sun down. Then there is the flora - K trail none, Bright Angel a lot.
It is the kind of place you might want to slow down a bit rather then speed up.

At PR you must drink the beer inside the building - you can't take it outside.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby jdorje » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Dex wrote:At PR you must drink the beer inside the building - you can't take it outside.

Oh, the humanity!
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Dex » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:18 am

jdorje wrote:
Dex wrote:At PR you must drink the beer inside the building - you can't take it outside.

Oh, the humanity!

True! But, when you stop and think that that cold beer you are drinking was carried down the trail on the back of one of those mule trains - you appreciate it a bit more.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby soad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:55 am

Hey guys! I'm planning a family trip to the canyon for the middle of June next year (have to go during the little ones summer vacation). I would like to do a long run, but I realize I'm there at a horrible time of year.

I have a proto-plan but am open to suggestions.

The plan is to start on the Bright Angel at 3am and get to phantom ranch by 530-600. The climb back out with with the hope of being done by 10:00-11:00. The distance and elevation gain is well within my ability in 7-8 hours (multiple ultramarathons) but I'm not sure about the heat.

Is climbing up Bright Angel from 6am to 10am in mid June a horrible idea, or doable if prepared?

Thanks!!!

Postby Dex » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:46 am

soad wrote:Hey guys! I'm planning a family trip to the canyon for the middle of June next year (have to go during the little ones summer vacation). I would like to do a long run, but I realize I'm there at a horrible time of year.

I have a proto-plan but am open to suggestions.

The plan is to start on the Bright Angel at 3am and get to phantom ranch by 530-600. The climb back out with with the hope of being done by 10:00-11:00. The distance and elevation gain is well within my ability in 7-8 hours (multiple ultramarathons) but I'm not sure about the heat.

Is climbing up Bright Angel from 6am to 10am in mid June a horrible idea, or doable if prepared?

Thanks!!!

This might help you.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=197&month=6&year=2014&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby Scott P » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 am

Doable, but still a horrible idea, especially for the Rim to Rim to Rim. It is very unlikely that you would enjoy it that time of year.

There are places at the Grand Canyon that are OK in summer though.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby jomagam » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:01 am

Scott P wrote:

Doable, but still a horrible idea, especially for the Rim to Rim to Rim. It is very unlikely that you would enjoy it that time of year.

He was proposing a Rim to River to Rim if I understood him correctly. That's easily doable; I'd say 2 hours down and 4 up very conservatively and taking a lot of pics. It won't be that hot if you finish by 9-10.

Postby soad » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:12 am

jomagam wrote:
Scott P wrote:

He was proposing a Rim to River to Rim if I understood him correctly. That's easily doable; I'd say 2 hours down and 4 up very conservatively and taking a lot of pics. It won't be that hot if you finish by 9-10.

Correct. Just a 20 mile run on the Bright Angel to the river then back up to the south rim. Thanks for your help!

PreviousNext