Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wyoming - Snowy Range- Medicine Bow Pk

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Wyoming - Snowy Range- Medicine Bow Pk

Postby beerhiker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Hello, headed up to Snowies this weekend, wanted to stay at Sugarloaf Campground but it is full, anybody know how dispersed camping is on the forest service roads in the area? Ive pulled the maps from forest service web and see it is allowed, just looking for any suggestions/info. I do have 4WD truck.
Thanks

Re: Wyoming - Snowy Range- Medicine Bow Pk

Postby mtgirl » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:32 pm

While I can't help you with camping information (I was fortunte enough to score a couple nights in the Spruce Mountain Fire Lookout Tower when I hiked up Medicine Bow Peak), I just wanted to recommend taking the short hike up Sugarloaf Mountain on the way down from Medicine Bow Peak. Both offered spectacular views ! We also got to see some huge moose in the area.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby kbmiller » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Take the Sand Lake road north about 5-6 miles, lots of places for dispersed camping. I've also seen a lot of campers on FS road 336 that takes off to the south just before you get to the overlook. Might want to go a couple miles south to get into the trees. Nice place.

Postby Buckie06 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm

there's some campgrounds off of the HWY past Medicine Bow Peak, as you go over the pass you'll see them on the left side before you get to the Ryan Park Residential area.

Postby beerhiker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for info, update, ended up on FS Rd 336 to the south, unlimited dispersed camping back in there.