Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

FEED ME!!!

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Postby Hiking Mike » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:02 pm

Hey, I drive a Ford Windstar. :D Her name is Moby: The Great White Windstar! :lol: Whenever I see her from afar, I can say "Thar she blows! It's Moby, the great white Windstar!" (Needless to say, this is my way of dealing with having to drive a quirky minivan, and yes, the exclamation points are absolutely necessary.) I've been on many an outdoor adventure with Moby, although her capabilites on dirt roads are somewhat limited. Her hubcaps make funny noises and she revs herself at stoplights, so she really required name. :wink:
...And my memory shall serve me in the way that memories do:
To conjure bygone times, and shine them bright anew,
To erase the strain of effort from faces of the past,
And resurrect slight triumphs as glories unsurpassed...

Postby CO Native » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:46 am

I live near the Crags TH and I got over a foot of snow last night.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:26 am

It's pretty good reading the jibber jabber for and against "tourists".

I guess, even though I have climbed more 14ers than some of you, and have driven through Eisenhower tunnel more times than a few of those living in Denver, and can remember crossing Colorado without an I-70, that I too am a "tourist". And, Yeah, I do drop a chunk of change when in CO to climb or ski or fish. Do I resent being called a tourist??

Naaawwwhhh. Hell, a tourist is some guy from Ohio who brings his four wheeler to Kentucky on the weekends to tear up the trails and call his relatives "hillbillies"!

The age old question is "what is the difference between an Kentuckian and a S.O.B.?"

The answer is, "The Ohio River."

SOOoooo, just change the name of the states to Colorado and Texas and add in some jokes about tractors in the football stadium parking lots.........and you'll see why nobody gets too upset!
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

yuppers

Postby skwid » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:54 pm

I seemed to have sparked quite a debate... I think we should make it more illegal for undocumented texans to come here... than for undocumented mexicans to come to the u.s.

I say we instate a climbing visa... for texans... and oklahomans... and kansans... you have to prove you aren't a dick... you can drive... you don't litter... and pay $100 per mountain...

Re: yuppers

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:12 pm

skwid wrote:I seemed to have sparked quite a debate... I think we should make it more illegal for undocumented texans to come here... than for undocumented mexicans to come to the u.s.

I say we instate a climbing visa... for texans... and oklahomans... and kansans... you have to prove you aren't a dick... you can drive... you don't litter... and pay $100 per mountain...

I would venture to guess that these "tourists" pay a helluva lot more than $100 per mountain when they visit Colorado. I say, God bless you and your fat wallets. Come blow your dough in Colorado, especially if it's on the road up to Pike's Peak. When I got together with Barry and Alan in July I'll bet we spent more than $50/day/person on food, beer, gas, and campsite fees and we didn't even get to the top of a single mountain (that doesn't count the money they spent to reach the border of our fair state).
"What a day, eh, Milhouse? The sun is out, birds are singing,
bees are trying to have sex with them - as is my understanding..."

- Bart Simpson

"You are not Steve F-ing House."
- Best RockClimbing.com Rant Ever

www.AndyInTheRockies.com

Previous