Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Whitney Fri 6/28

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Mt. Whitney Fri 6/28

Postby epacalicious » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:49 am

Is anyone interested in joining me to hike Mt Whitney on this Friday, 6/28? I have a day permit for 2 and my buddy who was going to join sprained his ankle...

Shoot me a PM and we can synchronize watches.
Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man ~ Walter Bonatti

Re: Mt. Whitney Fri 6/28

Postby nyker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm

epacalicious, how did your Whitney climb go?

Postby epacalicious » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 am

California is a whole different animal! I tried to climb Williamson over the first 2 days I was out there, starting at 6'000 TH elevation, hiking in 10 miles through blazing heat to camp in the basin... I picked the wrong gully to go up, and it got a little too technical for my comfort. Opted to bail out and make it out in one piece

I met up with anthony156 to do Whitney, and was glad to have a partner. This kid lives in San Diego and could have run circles around me in his Vibram 5 finger shoes. Exhausted after my 20 miles over the last 2 days, we took the standard route, which is a straightforward 11 mile walk-up. Met up with some good people on the summit, and one guy showed us the route to bag Mt Muir on the way down. Muir is a fun class 3/4 scramble, without a soul on top...
Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man ~ Walter Bonatti

Postby nyker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Great, good to hear. Yea, the routes in the Sierras are a bit different than in CO.