14ers site for the Sierras

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
falcon568
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 14ers site for the Sierras

Post by falcon568 »

I moved from CA to CO recently and as folks have mentioned, there's no definite "go to" site for climbing out there. Whitneyzone.com has links to its own forum and the Whitney Portal Store forums, which have trip reports and general forum topics, but no detailed route descriptions. Still very useful though. While there's definitely not as many peaks in CA as there are in CO, there are some stunning routes and very enjoyable climbs out there.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

bonehead wrote:
tlongpine wrote:romanticize condescendingly
Somehow Steve Roper managed to find his way way around the High Sierras long before his book was commercially distributed
Who's the condescending one here.
I offered good guide book advice for those looking for information.
And Ropers book was just a more current update of Voge's book
copyrighted in 1954. So yeah, Roper had help like most of us since.
It's obvious I use this site, and I have no problem with the great information offered here.
But why throw the burden on Bill. If you want a site like this for the Sierras, create one.
Replace "Steve Roper" w/ "I", "his" w/ "my", and "his book was commercially available" with "the internet" and you'll see your sentence. You see, the tone is yours - you reap what you sow.

As for burdening Bill, I trust that he recognizes his own agency and his ability to say "No" to those things too burdensome. Meanwhile, I reserve my right to say "Wouldn't is be cool?"
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

bonehead wrote:Sorry, I double posted.
And I didn't walk to the library, I got to ride my bike.
You should try it.
I love to ride my bike! Let's ride together. Meet me at Flagstaff Mountain at 5:30 sometime and you can try to grab my wheel.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

anna wrote:
falcon568 wrote:.... While there's definitely not as many peaks in CA as there are in CO, there are some stunning routes and very enjoyable climbs out there.
Well, actually... http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/statestats.php?p=300 California: 11,104 Colorado: 4,389 :wink:
Falcon sounds like someone who's never traveled across CA, and I don't me E-W, rather N-S.
It is interesting though how on that list CO is beat out by AZ, ID, MT, NV, OR, UT, and WA.
Worse, AK (0) is beat out by RI (1). :wft: :wft: :wft:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
falcon568
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (3)

Post by falcon568 »

By peaks I meant 14ers, being as that is the subject of this site. However, while thinking that, it didn't make it into the post. Oh well, words are hard. Central California is where all the 14ers are but Shasta, not to say NorCal isn't beautiful.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I am so old school that I had to use topo maps to climb California 14ers. Not the kind of maps downloaded from the 'net, but the ones that you physically purchased from stores. If it wasn't obvious how to climb a peak, Bob Rockwell was the man to ask. Such were the good old days of the '80s. It was a much bigger accomplishment back then to bag a 14er, although I seem to remember that the climbs were uphill both ways and we had to make our own backpacks out of rocks because nylon hadn't been invented yet.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

tlongpine wrote:Replace "Steve Roper" w/ "I", "his" w/ "my", and "his book was commercially available" with "the internet" and you'll see your sentence. You see, the tone is yours - you reap what you sow.
I bow to thee
as you revel in
your own cleverness
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

highsierratopix.com

supertopo.com

mountainproject.com
tlongpine
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

steelfrog wrote:highsierratopix.com

supertopo.com

mountainproject.com
This makes me very happy: http://highsierratopix.com/high-sierra-map/map.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 14ers site for the Sierra

Post by TravelingMatt »

This thread's on the third page and no one has yet pointed out "Sierra" is already plural and thus doesn't take an "s" on the end?
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

TravelingMatt wrote:"Sierra" is already plural and thus doesn't take an "s" on the end?
Guilty as charged.
Must be a gringo thing.
Like Sahara Desert.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

bonehead wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote:"Sierra" is already plural and thus doesn't take an "s" on the end?
Guilty as charged.
Must be a gringo thing.
Like Sahara Desert.
To be fair, CDOT amuses me with its signs denoting the "Rio Grande River". New Mexico gets it right.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake