Northern New Mexico conditions?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Northern New Mexico conditions?

Post by TravelingMatt »

Any recent reports from Northern New Mexico? They had very low precip totals this winter and I'm wondering how close it is to summer conditions. Might go down there this weekend. Specifically looking at more prominent 11ers such as Taylor and Chicoma. Probably not doing anything in the Pecos unless it's dry there.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Re: Northern New Mexico conditions?

Post by ChrisinAZ »

If you go, I'd definitely appreciate any beta you have--may be heading to the Truchas Peaks in a few weeks.

As for snow depth, I've generally used http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/interactive/html/map.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which isn't perfect, but is a good general indicator. If you want to center in on specific peaks, you can go onto listsofjohn and click the "snow depth" link on a given peak's page. According to the site, at least parts of the Pecos (including Truchas) are pretty close to dry, but I'm still planning to contact the NF to get more accurate conditions...
Last edited by ChrisinAZ on Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

I did Taylor 2 weekends ago and it was 100% dry. A few patches under the trees in places but nothing on the trail. I was able to see Chicoma's face and it was snow free but I'm not sure what condition it will be under the trees and on the road. Guessing it will be fairly dry but not sure.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Sounds like a go then! I'll report back. Until then, any more info is helpful. Might consider a Pecos 12er if it's dry.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
abqben56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by abqben56 »

It's been extremely dry here but the highest Sangres weren't as badly affected as the lowlands. The Santa Fe snotel reports 17 inches, Taos Powderhorn 41, so north-facing slopes in the Sangres will still be covered in places, at least in the forest. You can get a pretty good idea from the Taos and Santa Fe ski area webcams.

Chicoma is probably clear or close to it; I didn't see any snow cover on the Jemez from Santa Fe last weekend.
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

abqben56 wrote:You can get a pretty good idea from the Taos and Santa Fe ski area webcams.
http://skitaos.org/webcams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do look at those but I'm not sure what or which direction I'm looking at, and at least one of the controllable cams seems out of whack.
abqben56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by abqben56 »

TravelingMatt wrote:
I do look at those but I'm not sure what or which direction I'm looking at, and at least one of the controllable cams seems out of whack.
It sure is. The highline ridge view looks to be rotated to the left from where it should be. You can still get an idea of what's on the ground around 12K on more or less north facing slopes.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I live in Santa Fe and as a matter a fact we did Gold Hill (12,700) near Wheeler peak today. Not summer conditions yet. There was hard pack snow in the trees and we post holed quite a bit. Would have liked snow shoes in the afternoon. Easily avoidable snow above tree line on all the peaks we could see from gold hill's summit. The standard route up Wheeler will be boot packed snow with little snow on the ridge.

The peaks around ABQ are mostly snow free.

I am doing Pecos Baldy this coming Saturday and expect similard conditions to gold hill with a bit less snow.

I would expect the approaches to the Truchas still to have snow.

Its going to warm this week so I think the melt will be fast with most snow gone by around 6/15.

If you have specific peaks in mind let me know.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

desertdog wrote:I am doing Pecos Baldy this coming Saturday and expect similard conditions to gold hill with a bit less snow.
Its going to warm this week so I think the melt will be fast with most snow gone by around 6/15.
Please report back after doing Pecos Baldy (don't forget East, it's ranked). Our plan is to start in Cowles for a Truchas hike, so you'd be covering much of our approach.
As Chris mentioned, the map used on LoJ indicates much less snow around there than in the Wheeler/Gold Hill area. Let's hope so...
Thank you.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Matt wrote:
desertdog wrote:I am doing Pecos Baldy this coming Saturday and expect similard conditions to gold hill with a bit less snow.
Please report back after doing Pecos Baldy (don't forget East, it's ranked). Our plan is to start in Cowles for a Truchas hike, so you'd be covering much of our approach.
As Chris mentioned, the map used on LoJ indicates much less snow around there than in the Wheeler/Gold Hill area. Let's hope so...
Thank you.
I'll be glad to report back. I've done the Pecos Baldy(s) and your Truchas route many times. Nice area. A friend of mine is doing the Truchas route as a day hike on the 5/25. I try to get some beta for you.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Do you know if vandalism is still a problem at the Quemado trailhead? Or is the whole thing exaggerated?

A NM climber told me to leave my vehicle unlocked with a case of beer in the front seat - seems like that could backfire.
desertdog wrote: I'll be glad to report back. I've done the Pecos Baldy(s) and your Truchas route many times. Nice area. A friend of mine is doing the Truchas route as a day hike on the 5/25. I try to get some beta for you.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
desertdog
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Monster5 wrote:Do you know if vandalism is still a problem at the Quemado trailhead? Or is the whole thing exaggerated?

A NM climber told me to leave my vehicle unlocked with a case of beer in the front seat - seems like that could backfire.
desertdog wrote: I'll be glad to report back. I've done the Pecos Baldy(s) and your Truchas route many times. Nice area. A friend of mine is doing the Truchas route as a day hike on the 5/25. I try to get some beta for you.

Maybe just a six pack! I've heard about it for years and don't think it's exaggerated. I would not leave my car at that TH. We once took a friend of mine's clunker up there and no one touched it.