Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Wild Horse Butte, Utah

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Wild Horse Butte, Utah

Postby ColoradoGuy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Surely some of you are acquainted with Wild Horse Butte, which is that stunning rock near Goblin Valley State Park and the trailhead to Little Wild Horse Canyon.

Question: Has anyone hiked/climbed this thing? I can't find even one online report of someone who's reached the summit. Also, the only thing on YouTube is a 20-second video of a guy hiking on one of the ridges near that steep vertical layer.

Anyway, here's my photo of this beauty from last weekend:

It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Re: Wild Horse Butte, Utah

Postby Vermont Mike » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:03 am

One of my favorite buttes. She's a beaut. Now I need to road trip it to the Swell again.

Postby elhombre » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:13 am

Is this one on the road to the Maze ranger outpost? If so, it is a beautiful piece of art work! Always figured you need to be one of those crazy climbers who hammer rebar nails into the walls for pro. Please post all your pictures when you do it.
“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those know they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.” Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette of Colorado, leading congressional sponsor of a federal ban on high-capacity magazines.

Postby jdorje » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:49 am

-Jason Dorje Short

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:36 am

elhombre wrote:Please post all your pictures when you do it.

Um, I'm not doing it. I'm hoping SOMEONE ELSE will do it!

I'm a wimp, ha ha. :)
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:38 am

jdorje wrote:http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=23248
http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/detail.asp?fid=3122256

This guy? Looks intimidating!

No doubt intimidating, but with all the people that drive past it who are headed to Goblin Valley or Little Wild Horse Canyon, you'd think SOMEONE would dare to climb it. Hmmm.

Postby jdorje » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 am

Neither LoJ nor any other source seems to even list its known class rating, much less have a record or trip report of anyone climbing it.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby JTOlson26 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:11 am

Wow, I just spent 30 minutes searching this thing and I couldn't come up with a single source of someone even thinking about climbing it! Mountain Project, Lists of John, nothing. That's kind of hard to believe. Maybe Scott P will know something about it?

Postby Winter8000m » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:00 pm

Looks fun!
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby ColoradoGuy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:52 pm

JTOlson26 wrote:Wow, I just spent 30 minutes searching this thing and I couldn't come up with a single source of someone even thinking about climbing it! Mountain Project, Lists of John, nothing. That's kind of hard to believe. Maybe Scott P will know something about it?

Exactly! I'm glad I'm not alone in my thinking. :)

Postby Scott P » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Has anyone hiked/climbed this thing? I can't find even one online report of someone who's reached the summit.

Last report I've heard is that it's still unclimbed. Reports from attempts are that it would be like climbing gram crackers. There is actually a benchmark on top, but it was put up there by helicopter.

Looks fun!

Probably right up your and Brian C's ally.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Brian C » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Scott P wrote:
Has anyone hiked/climbed this thing? I can't find even one online report of someone who's reached the summit.

Last report I've heard is that it's still unclimbed. Reports from attempts are that it would be like climbing gram crackers. There is actually a benchmark on top, but it was put up there by helicopter.

Looks fun!

Probably right up your and Brian C's ally.

Scott - Do you know anybody who attempted it? I'd love to see some up-close photos. Sounds like it'd be worth a look.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Next