Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

slow park openings due to budget constraints

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA

Re: slow park openings due to budget constraints

Postby TallGrass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:07 pm

Dex wrote:It isn't an issue of perfection or freedom of speeh. It is an issue of knowledge. When the USA began bloodletting was good medicine. It has grown to specialitist from head to toe. Yet, a journalism hasn't changed from then to now.
Having a journalism background, I can tell you that is just as ill-informed as what you are purportedly decrying (in addition to containing five errors). Seems you're overlooking peer-review journals (for one) and why pseudo-medicine still exists and sells. No matter how much tools advance, human nature ... :wink: Regardless of budget or benefits, if there's a will to open the park roads "on time," there's a way.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby John Landers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Hungry Jack wrote:Dex nailed it. Gotta weigh the opportunity cost of not being open (mostly foregone revenues from fees and concessions) vs the cost of not operating the plows.

But I cannot imagine that even the great Yellowstone generates 30k in daily revenues in spring.

The government does not work by cost versus benefit analysis. The cuts / actions are intended to be as noticeable to the public as possible to justify the government's existence, growth and desire for higher taxes.

Postby Dex » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:33 am

TallGrass wrote:
Dex wrote:It isn't an issue of perfection or freedom of speeh. It is an issue of knowledge. When the USA began bloodletting was good medicine. It has grown to specialitist from head to toe. Yet, a journalism hasn't changed from then to now.
Having a journalism background, I can tell you that is just as ill-informed as what you are purportedly decrying (in addition to containing five errors). Seems you're overlooking peer-review journals (for one) and why pseudo-medicine still exists and sells. No matter how much tools advance, human nature ... :wink: Regardless of budget or benefits, if there's a will to open the park roads "on time," there's a way.

And I can tell you from working in TV network news and TV network Sports - I know what I am talking about. I've even been involved in the launching of a news network outside the USA & have family members in the business.

What worked in the 18th and 19th century doesn't work in the 21st century. The idea that a journalist, without the proper knowledge can do a proper analysis of a medical issue one day and a legal issue another, and a social issue the next etc doesn't work any more.

The reason bloggers and other new media 'news' sources have taken a large share from network news is because the reader sees the value of them the same i.e. an average person providing the same information.

This situation will not change so you job is safe.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby TallGrass » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 am

Dex wrote:And I can tell you from working in TV network news and TV network Sports
Ah, yes. Crème de la crème investigative journalism there rehashing the AP wire with 10-second sound bites followed by the local football scores just like they did in 1776 when ratings were king. Remember when ol' Ben finally got the Pulitzer in 1758 for Poor Richard's Almanac?

Dex wrote:The idea that a journalist, without the proper knowledge can do a proper analysis of a medical issue one day ...
Oh let's just make a Strawman then generalize to the entire profession (not to mention all media) blissfully ignoring the countless journalists who cover beats or specialize in certain areas like medicine. When was the last time Sanjay Gupta gave the latest Broncos recap, Thomas Friedman did the weather, or Anthony Shadid covered the latest traffic accident on I-70?

Dex wrote:This situation will not change so you job is safe.
:roll:

Postby Dex » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 am

TallGrass wrote:
Dex wrote:And I can tell you from working in TV network news and TV network Sports
Ah, yes. Crème de la crème investigative journalism there rehashing the AP wire with 10-second sound bites followed by the local football scores just like they did in 1776 when ratings were king. Remember when ol' Ben finally got the Pulitzer in 1758 for Poor Richard's Almanac?

Dex wrote:The idea that a journalist, without the proper knowledge can do a proper analysis of a medical issue one day ...
Oh let's just make a Strawman then generalize to the entire profession (not to mention all media) blissfully ignoring the countless journalists who cover beats or specialize in certain areas like medicine. When was the last time Sanjay Gupta gave the latest Broncos recap, Thomas Friedman did the weather, or Anthony Shadid covered the latest traffic accident on I-70?

Dex wrote:This situation will not change so you job is safe.
:roll:

All those words and yet, you can not refute my premise.

Instead, you attempt to introduce fallacious arguments into the discussion.

I've admitted the situation will not change so there is no need for such distractions.

You have won. It is the reader/viewer who is losing.

++++++++++++

"AP wire with 10-second sound bites followed by the local football scores just like they did in 1776"

You're only off by 200 years. In 1976 I was a desk assistant ripping the paper from the teletype machines (very noisy) and distributing it.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby TallGrass » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:53 am

Dex wrote:"AP wire ... just like they did in 1776" You're only off by 200 years.
What can you say to someone who claims to be knowledgeable about journalism but can't recognize the most obvious satire? Not much that wouldn't be :deadhorse:

Postby Dex » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:25 am

TallGrass wrote:
Dex wrote:"AP wire ... just like they did in 1776" You're only off by 200 years.
What can you say to someone who claims to be knowledgeable about journalism but can't recognize the most obvious satire? Not much that wouldn't be :deadhorse:

As a journalist; you should not have used the word 'can't' because you don't know that they can not recognize it. They might have ignored it to make another point.

You should have used the phrase 'appears not to recognize' or 'in my opinion can't' .

To answer your question; 'that they are smart enough to ignore the irrelevant'.

"...and yet, you can not refute my premise."
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby AlexMack » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:53 pm

I love that literally the 2nd post is blaming Obama, like we would all be sitting pretty if Rmoney got elected :roll: Come on people....
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin

Postby Guitarzan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Anytime people argue over politics I always picture the Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich episode of South Park........ :lol:
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE

Previous