Mount Adams (WA)

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
annajack25
Trip Reports (2)

Mount Adams (WA)

Post by annajack25 »

Has anyone climbed Mount Adams in Washington? If so, any info you could share would be wonderful.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Re: Mount Adams (WA)

Post by USAKeller »

CODave, sdkeil, and Azscott just climbed it in July - hopefully they can chime in. What info are you looking for specifically?
taylorzs
14ers: 57  35  3 
13ers: 95 31 9
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

I climbed it last May. What information where you looking for specifically? Here is a link to the trip report I wrote if that helps: http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com/Mt_Adams.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Let me know what questions you have.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
annajack25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by annajack25 »

Taylor & Keller! Thank you for the reply (and the link!). I was looking for info on the standard route (non-technical). I have read some posts on another site but was hoping for a little more help with best month for climbing conditions (trail and weather) for sure. We climbed Rainier last summer which was fantastic but it was with a guide service, so, this would be on our own.

What did you think of the climb? We were also going to do Mt St Helens.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

The standard route is the easiest route by far. Put one foot in front of the other. Depending upon the conditions, an ice axe and crampons are helpful. We did not rope up on this peak. Very windy summit. When to do it will depend upon how much snow they get. That road (and undulating affair) leading in to the parking area/trailhead will need to be passable to make your approach feasible. On a clear day, the views are awesome, but that is generally the case with that entire line of volcanoes.

By all means, if you can get St. Helens in, do so. We spent a few days there the first time we climbed it and did all the touristy stuff ... traveling to the blast side of the mountain, the theatre presentation, hiking down into the valley of the blast zone, etc. in addition to summiting.

You do have to have a permit to do St. Helens ... not so with Mt. Adams.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
taylorzs
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

Yeah the standard route is the easiest, it is called the south ridge or suksdorf(? not sure of the exact spelling here) ridge. There are no crevasses or need for ropes on the standard route. The Mazama glacier and White Salmon glacier make moderate glacier/crevasse climbs as well if you wanted a glacier experience. Mid summer is probably the easiest time of year to climb Adams. Spring is a pretty awesome time as well, few people, more snow, etc...
You do actually need a permit for Adams now. I am assuming this is a somewhat new thing since Presto did not know this. We got our permit at the ranger station a little ways below the trailhead. Ours was free because we went during off season but it costs money for summer season (starts early June?). I remember noticing this when I was in the ranger station. Permits are somewhat expensive as far as permits go too. I want to say $60 but cannot remember for sure. I think there are plenty of them though. I would call the forest service office to find out costs/availibility
Helens has a very limited number of permits. That is something you need to plan well in advance. I have had trouble getting permits both times I have tried and consequently, have not been able to climb Helens yet and both times I was there in spring not summer.
Adams is a beautiful mountain and a fun time. Good luck!
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Here is what the standard route looked like in October:
CascCreekOct6_2586aDarlisaLow-res.jpg
CascCreekOct6_2586aDarlisaLow-res.jpg (55.94 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
Cascade Creek fire 10-2-12 1024w.jpg
Cascade Creek fire 10-2-12 1024w.jpg (278.38 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
I'm not sure if the fire impacted the access road.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by taylorzs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:37 am
You do actually need a permit for Adams now. I am assuming this is a somewhat new thing since Presto did not know this. We got our permit at the ranger station a little ways below the trailhead. Ours was free because we went during off season but it costs money for summer season (starts early June?). I remember noticing this when I was in the ranger station. Permits are somewhat expensive as far as permits go too. I want to say $60 but cannot remember for sure.
:oops: Oops .. I'm showing my age ... :lol: Guess they pretty much do a permit for everything now? Thanks for the clarification. :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I have read some posts on another site but was hoping for a little more help with best month for climbing conditions (trail and weather) for sure.
July and August usually have the best weather.
What did you think of the climb?

The standard route on Mt Adams is not like Rainier. It's more of a snow slog, similar to say, the highest peaks of the Sawatch in the springtime.

There are no crevasses. The scenery and views are nice, but the route isn't as spectacular as most of the other Cascade Volcanoes. In this sense, I found it to be slightly disappointing (I am from Washington), but it's still a nice climb. The north side is more scenic, but the routes are more difficult to climb.

I think the permits are $15 now days.
Last edited by Scott P on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/giffordpi ... rdb5144542

Zach - permits aren't that expensive for Adams, seems to be 15$ for weekends (30$ for annual). Rainier is around 47$ these days, Shasta 20$, Hood free if I remember correctly.

edit : Scott P beat me to it!
taylorzs
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

Oh cool, that is less expensive than I thought. I was not sure since we were there early enough in the year for them to not be charging yet.

annajack25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by annajack25 »

Thank you everybody for good info (permit fees, better dates, ect) Taylor, thats a pretty awesome web page you have! Thanks again
Rainier approaching summit 2012
Rainier approaching summit 2012
washer.JPG (27.15 KiB) Viewed 2376 times