Ultras in MT on Labor Day Weekend

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Ultras in MT on Labor Day Weekend

Post by spiderman »

We are considering a trip to two Montana ultraprominence peaks during Labor Day weekend: Crazy and McDonald Peaks. From a brief look on the route descriptions on summitpost, the combined elevation gain is 10-11k. Very roughly the drive from Denver area would be 9h to the Crazy Peak TH and from there another 4h to the McDonald TH. We would leave mid-afternoon on Friday and comeback either wickedly late on Monday night or early Tuesday morning. If you have interest in long road trips and climbing remote peaks, give us a PM and we can figure out logistics and more closely examine the routes.

Any fresh beta on these peaks would also be appreciated.
Cheers, Doug and Arthur "Spiderman" Harris
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Ultras in MT on Labor Day Weekend

Post by rijaca »

McDonald Peak on 8/22/12....
McDonaldPeak.small.jpg
McDonaldPeak.small.jpg (100.6 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

If it wasn't for my exam Tuesday morning, I would SO go on this trip! Ah, well...

Regarding McDonald, are you sure there's legal access from whatever route you're doing? I think I've heard they shut down access every year after July 15 for some length of time because of the grizz.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Regarding McDonald, are you sure there's legal access from whatever route you're doing?
This is correct.

I don't think any of the routes have legal access access this time of year. The entire area around the peak is closed I believe.

Unless things have changed (haven't been there since the 1990's), you can still climb the other peaks in the range outside the immediate vicinity of McDonald.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

I would really like to climb these peaks at some point, but have plans for Labor Day weekend.
If you do not end up going, or try McDonald when legal, please post here again.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Thanks for the information about the status of McDonald. We will have to schedule a trip next summer. Anybody game for a Crazy-McDonald-Cleveland trip next July?

Maybe we should try to hit some of the Utah Ultras instead this Labor Day.

Cheers,
Doug and Arthur